VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service dog discrimination

Rate this question

Medic455

Question

This does not fit the forums but want to let all veterans aware of this issue. I had to get a rental car from Enterprise car rental in Mattoon, Illinois while mine was repaired following an accident. I have a Service dog for my PTSD. I picked up the vehicle with my SD with no issues however when I returned the vehicle (cleaner then when I got it) the man was threatening to charge me extra for having a pet in the car. I explained to him that the the animal was a service dog and he stated that it did not matter because other customers might be allergic. After several go around a with him I walked out. so if you have s service animal do not rent from Enterprise or you will be charged extra.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

In my opinion, this does belong in the PTSD forums.

Consider contacting the local media outlets. I am sure they would love to hear about it.

I do not have a service dog.  I have letters from my psych 'authorizing one but, after dealing with 3 different 'charities' trying to get one, I came to the realization that they all wanted me to pay for it all so they could profit.  As soon as it came to light that I could not pay, they all just seemed to disappear.

What happened fits with what I have heard from other vets though.  A common one is getting turned away at restaurants.  One thing to keep in mind though.  only .45% of Americans have any connection to the military.  They just don't understand, and they may never have dealt with anyone that was capable of renting a car yet still has a service dog.  Not many people with seeing eye dogs renting cars! 

Regardless of that, you need to pursue this if you are up to it or maybe get a family member to help.  Businesses need to be held accountable but more importantly, they need top be educated.  I would also pursue options with enterprise's corporate HQ.  They should have a policy for addressing this and. if not, they should be spurred to add one.  They get too much money from vets and AD to ignore the deficiency.

I think one of the main issues with service dogs is their abuse by others...it seems like every lady and their mother has their shi tzu in their purse claiming they need it to fly on a plane, and then the dog is just ignored the whole flight while they play on their phones, mostly i chalk this up to not wanting to pay to board the dog below. 

Theres no way to fix that abuse, but that is why a lot of people are skeptical of any service dog that is not a seeing eye dog, because some lady has her purse dog with papers from their spych that they need it with them to be calm.

if you want to hear a earful about service dogs listen to adam carollas podcast he complains about it almost every day about how every beverly hill socialite has a note from her psychologist that she needs her Poochiekins to be able to fly or eat in a restaurant. 

I have the same letter from my VA shrink. my dog helps. im not judging other vets, im one of you.  but we get judged because so many, and we arent talking the proverbial 10%, abuse it.

I tried to get one, I think it would help me, too.  But I ran into what I am beginning to think is a common thread; it seems many of these veteran 'charities' like their paychecks more than they like helping vets.  I could not find a single service dog organization that would supply me with a dog once they realized my financial situation.  If my financial situation wasn't what it is, I wouldn't be trying to get something thru a charity!  Regardless, they all seem to want to get money from both sides: from their 'charity' contributions as well as from the Vet.  I finally gave up after a couple months.

Edited by TALON II FE