VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange letter

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I caught this letter to the editor of a newspaper this AM, in my Google AO Nehmer alerts:

http://www.therepublic.com/view/local_story/Letter-Veterans-urged-to-check_1444183037

Although I wish the actual AO presumptives were in the letter, it was very sad to see that even a VA rep didnt seem to know what "Nehmer" was....

( my former rep didnt in 2003)

I agree that there are probably MANY Vietnam vets with AO presumptives who still do not even know they could file a claim.

And maybe many of them are dead by now, and their survivors didnt know about the presumptives at all.

Sad.        Hopefully some affected Vietnam vets will read her letter to the editor.

I certainly agree with you Berta!  I cannot count the times that I have read something of importance (here and elsewhere), but the author had left out the specifics or made you jump through a dozen clicks to get to them.  Unfortunately, I frequently err in the opposite direction and provide too much information.  The amount of unclaimed VA benefits funds because of lack of information AND misinformation must be staggering.  If not for hadit and a couple of other sites, the amount would skyrocket. For example, I overheard a conversation recently while waiting my turn for a heart cath appointment.  The conversation was between two VN veterans about my same age--old fart.  One had just recently received a "Proposal to Reduce" letter;  and was mortified about the financial disaster this was going to create for his family.  The other vet advised him to go to the phantom VSO (there is an office but it is never open) at the VAMC and initiate a NOD.  I interrupted the conversation and told the worried vet that he had a year to NOD a decision, but proposal was not a decision. I told him to immediately request a hearing on the matter before it became a decision which as we know will at least delay the reduction and give him time to accumulate evidence to prevent it.  Neither vet knew about our right to request a hearing at any time over any issue related to our benefits.

I also agree with Berta.

I only recently found this out about a year ago and nearly have everything ready to file. I started the clock last November.

I have only heard about inferred claims but I'm going to try for an earlier date by adding this:

The effective date of this claim should be the date IHD became a presumptive Agent Orange condition (August 31, 2010). I believe my emergency heart surgery Feb. 2006 constitutes an inferred claim because I was a VA patient before and immediately after surgery. The VA was aware of and diagnosed my IHD before my M.I. in 2006.

Can't hurt.

Edited by Mike_S
spelling

• HadIt.com Elder

I caught this letter to the editor of a newspaper this AM, in my Google AO Nehmer alerts:

http://www.therepublic.com/view/local_story/Letter-Veterans-urged-to-check_1444183037

Although I wish the actual AO presumptives were in the letter, it was very sad to see that even a VA rep didnt seem to know what "Nehmer" was....

( my former rep didnt in 2003)

I agree that there are probably MANY Vietnam vets with AO presumptives who still do not even know they could file a claim.

And maybe many of them are dead by now, and their survivors didnt know about the presumptives at all.

Sad.        Hopefully some affected Vietnam vets will read her letter to the editor.

Not only is it sad, it's an example of the government's (VA's) failures to properly inform veterans.  Saves money, don't you know!

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Berta also...

Every veteran thats been exposed to AO should get into the AO Registry.

I believe there's more disease that AO causes,  more and different diseases  than what there letting us know about  and could be secondary to a disease that we already have.

jmo

..............Buck

This is indeed a sad situation for Vietman Vets, and the VA is to blame..

Lesson learned....

Any current Iraq or Afgan that hasn't registered with the burnpit registry yet, should probably start thier mental health claim now.  Because you are a moron....

Get it done..

Hamslice

Presumptives for a war that  ended 40 years ..........................................................?? 

• HadIt.com Elder

I was in Vietnam  in 68 69 70  that's been what  47 years ago, there's no time limit with AO presumptive s it can creep up on ya anytime any years later.

I would advise any veteran that was in a war/conflict to register with your VAMC & Like Hamslice mention get in to your VAMC MH or any corresponding clinics rather or not you have any symptoms present.

jmo

.........Buck