VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

AGENT ORANGE

Rate this question

BUZZ

Question

Friend file for claim 1 year ago and send in doctor(test) report about 6 months ago for cad,got a letter stating that they are working on his claim.When do you think they will finish his claim,also he should get back pay, back when he file his claim, 1 year ago right.

6 answers to this question

Your friend may benefit by calling the RO and speaking to someone about the time. If it is approved it should be back payed to the first day of the following month she/he applied.

It is always possible his CAD could have been diagnosed and coded on an old rating sheet (unless this is his first AO claim).

As long as he was incountry-Vietnam, he should get a rating under AO and also retro to the date of the claim.

However if VA had coded the CAD in any past decision as NSC with a rating this info might help:

(I am assuming his CAD is " ischemic" heart disease)

Even if the CAD should have been coded (by medical evidence) but never was, that too can render a very favorable EED.

My husband's AO IHD sh9ould hjave been coded durinh his ligetime and treatment at the VAMC.

They never diagnosed it and it became part of my 1151/FTCA issues.

In 2012 they awarded the 1151 IHD back to the date a C & P examiner had noted it in his medical records.

It was rated at 50% less the 30% SC for PTSD he got at that time for a 6 year period up to his death due to primary COD (cause of death)...IHD..

This is the first time he ever filed,he had a stent put in and was in vn,he should be hearing from the va pretty soon. I told him ,he should off put in a claim a long time ago,he had 90% blockage so he had a stent put in.

Call the VA Regional Office.  You can find the toll free number on EBenefits site, as well as the status of his claim.  Does he have an E Benefits account yet?  If not, google E Benefits, get him registered so he can track his claim info.

This should be a fairly fast claim.  I had a heart attack, found 100% blockage in one of my arteries in the emergency room and had a single stent put in.  Ended up spending 4 days in the hospital.  Found out about AO when doing research why this happened to me...no one in my family has ever had heart problems.  Went to the VA with my medical record, proof of "on the ground" in Vietnam, submitted my claim, had a C & P about a month later and then was awarded 60%,  Whole thing lasted 3-4 months...fast in the VA world.   If memory serves, I got 100% for a single month and then it adjusted to 60% thereafter going back to the day I submitted the claim.

I second the recommendation to get on e-Benefits so you can stalk your claim and find out quickly what your award is by printing out the letters after your claim is complete.

Nam AO claims move to the front of the SC Claims Line, thanks to Nehmer.

Check out VA 38 CFR 4 rating for CAD regarding SC % for w/Stent.

Strictly my Lay opinion now, but what other conditions may he not know he has? PTSD and Sleep Apnea come to mind. ED due to heart medications is a valid claim after his Dr confirms the condition subsequent to the CAD DX.

Did he serve in combat? Receipt of a CIB or CAR indicated on his DD214 would verify his exposure to combat.

Is he now seeing a VA Primary care Dr as well as a VA Cardiologist?

He should be receiving a VA notification regarding a Comp & Pension Exam for CAD in the very near future. This exam will only address his CAD issues and how they relate to the 38 CFR 4 ratings. You may want to view the VA CAD DBQ "Disability Questionnaire," that the C & P examiner is required to complete for the Rating Dept.

Semper Fi