VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Intro from NC

Rate this question

pumibel

Question

Hello fellow Vets,

I have been viewing this forum for a while as a guest, but I think it is better to be a member when one is reading so many personal accounts. Otherwise, I'm just a creeper. I am a single mom and caregiver to my own mom. I was on active duty with the USAF for 12 years, separated honorably from Bolling AFB.  DC did me in, but when I separated in 2004, I really did not think that I would ever file a claim for anything because I had no faith in doctors and no time machine to realize that my health problems would get so much worse within the decade. Anyway, I would like to say that I am not in the same boat as a lot of traumatically injured members here, but many friends and family members have encouraged me to file for compensation because they have seen my physical and mental capacities decline (I am only 42).  Everything started while I was in the military, but the docs would blow me off almost every time I went in for answers. Funny, if I wanted drugs, they were more than helpful, but to press for tests to find out what was wrong- nope. You can't tell them anything, either. 

I only filed my claim a month ago, and I am already sure I did it wrong or back asswards, so I know I have some time to wait. I look forward to discussions here, and thank you all for your service!

Until you review your STR's there's not a lot you can do but read anything you can find on what you think you may be able to link to your disabilities. Make notes and study hard, hopefully you will have a chance to add new evidence if you did do something "incorrectly". We all have so no worries.

When you do review them tell us what you find so we can point you in the right direction. 

Last but not least, Thank you for your service. ?

Welcome aboard.  all recommendations above are good- especially "ask the questions."  Folks here are extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

My one piece of advice is wording in any claim is important- need to speak "VA" language that they understand.  One reference I've found that is useful is browse through the Board of Veterans Appeal website http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.jsp  It has a pretty useful search tool.  Plug in the disability and it will give you a link for all cases heard by the BVA.  What I did was look at the claim info at top and then scroll to bottom and see if approved, denied or referred back to RO.

If "approved" I'd read through it for the verbiage the board used in approving.

worked for me.  again welcome aboard and 9/11 at the Pentagon was a nightmare then and still is

Thanks everyone for your advice and kind words, and I am sorry for posting in the wrong section.  I am sure that I will find a lot of great info here. Thanks especially for that link, Slick! 

pumibel,

Keep in mind that you may be able to file claims for a lot of those issues you mentioned.  Especially if you were treated for them while in the service.  You will be able to know for sure, once you get your STR and start going through it.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

Yes, of course I thought of that after filing my FDC, and since I have been reading many posts here at Hadit, I have realized that I will probably have basis for other claims. I went in for severe pain in my hands and feet while I was AD, and was told by the sweet PA in training that my footwear (expensive military shoes and boots, mind you) and desk ergonomics (military as well) were the cause. I have peripheral neuropathy now. I also have severe wrist problems, some sort of cyst on the ulnar side, so my VA PCP prescribed special braces a couple of years ago. I mean, you cannot be a desk jockey for so many years without wearing those joints and tendons down, but I thought I would have more time, you know? I'm only 42! I work as a freelance writer now, so my flareups keep me from working sometimes. My STT software helps, but it picks up all of my household noises too- very frustrating,  I am rambling now lol.

I claimed several issues that are recorded in my STR (or should be, at least). I requested records from NPRC before I filed my claim, but I only received a receipt letter to verify they got my form. I sent an email this week for an update on that, and they replied that the expected date for competing my request in 30 Dec 2015. After further research, I realized that my records might be in the VAMC at St. Louis, so I mailed the appropriate form to them for copies of everything. I also filled out the form for my local VA because I have found that only my psychiatrist and ophthalmologist use the VA notes in MyHealtheVet. I have ordered blue button reports regularly over the past five years, so I have everything that was annotated in MyHeatheVet the entire period. The PCPs and nurses who have seen me for other conditions never wrote any notes, so I have no idea what my record states for those appointments. I am going to get the copies when I go to Fayetteville next week for my psych appt.