VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Intro from NC

Rate this question

pumibel

Question

Hello fellow Vets,

I have been viewing this forum for a while as a guest, but I think it is better to be a member when one is reading so many personal accounts. Otherwise, I'm just a creeper. I am a single mom and caregiver to my own mom. I was on active duty with the USAF for 12 years, separated honorably from Bolling AFB.  DC did me in, but when I separated in 2004, I really did not think that I would ever file a claim for anything because I had no faith in doctors and no time machine to realize that my health problems would get so much worse within the decade. Anyway, I would like to say that I am not in the same boat as a lot of traumatically injured members here, but many friends and family members have encouraged me to file for compensation because they have seen my physical and mental capacities decline (I am only 42).  Everything started while I was in the military, but the docs would blow me off almost every time I went in for answers. Funny, if I wanted drugs, they were more than helpful, but to press for tests to find out what was wrong- nope. You can't tell them anything, either. 

I only filed my claim a month ago, and I am already sure I did it wrong or back asswards, so I know I have some time to wait. I look forward to discussions here, and thank you all for your service!

Sounds like you're on the ball, having already requested your STR.  Make sure to request your C-file, also.  It's very important to have that.  It's where most of us have found various mistakes, or even C&P exams that should have caused a contention to be SC, but was not.

Maybe you can stop off at Camp Lejeuene hospital and pick up my radiology reports? ok maybe not.

Thanks Andyman. Would I even have a C-file yet? I just filed the claim last month, so maybe there is nothing in it yet. I also keep reading that making the request delays the claim. If it is too early to have a C-file, I certainly don't want to delay things needlessly!

The crazy one here, sorry that you are going through these problems. 

Since you just filed your first claim a month ago, you probably do not have a C-file at your local VARO but you should have something at your local VAMC. IMHO, if it is at all possible try not to speak about any childhood depressive disorders to any of your VA doctors or in your VA claims.  VA is notorious for denying a veteran for mental health disorder due to the fact that they (VA) claims the condition was started prior to military service.

Thanks Andyman. Would I even have a C-file yet? I just filed the claim last month, so maybe there is nothing in it yet. I also keep reading that making the request delays the claim. If it is too early to have a C-file, I certainly don't want to delay things needlessly!

You C-File is based on claims related informaiton so you wont have it yet, but the second you get your decision back from your first claim file for your C-File (Form 3288) and after every claim is decided file again for the all the information since your last request for the C-file.

IMHO, if it is at all possible try not to speak about any childhood depressive disorders to any of your VA doctors or in your VA claims.  VA is notorious for denying a veteran for mental health disorder due to the fact that they (VA) claims the condition was started prior to military service.

Well crap, I already screwed that up, but I was totally fine for more than half of my military service. The anxiety and physical problems started when I was in DC, the last leg of my enlistment. I was not afraid to drive anywhere and I did not have the problem with crowds and loud noises until after 2001. My dates for AD are 1992-2004. I have already admitted to my shrink that I had taken a handful of mystery pills when I was 12, but I was never hospitalized or even treated for depression. I just threw up a lot that day and felt miserable. I was too afraid to tell my mom because I knew I would get in trouble for trying to kill myself. I think it was Vivarin that I took. Orange or yellow tablets with  "V" imprint, packaged in a blister pack- no box or label, but definitely OTC. So preteen angst and a caffeine overdose may screw me, huh? It is kind of funny in a very dark way. 

Edit- yes,according to Drugs.com, it was Vivarin. Hey, I was 12, okay!

:vivarin.jpg

Edited by pumibel

I didn't even realize that a C-file only gets formed once you make a claim! 

Not sure if that pill poppin party from way back when will have too much effect.  Like pete992 said, avoid it like the plague!!!  When my MH therapist asked about mine, I said it was pretty good, we were kinda poor, food stamp poor...with my Dad a career Army type.  Fun times...