VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD to include Personality Disorder. Medical Retirement?

Rate this question

ollieee6

Question

My issue has many twist and turns. I will pin point the most important events.

While in the Navy, starting in April 2004, I started to experience anxiety, depression, and sleeping issues. June 2004, I was diagnosed by an attending Psychiatrist, and prescribed Prozac as follows:

Axis I: Adjustment Disorder with depressed mood.

Axis II: Personality Disorder NOS dependent and avoidant features

July 2004 I was discharged with a General Under Honorable conditions, narrative reason being: Personality Disorder (Convenience of the Government)

In 2005 I applied to have my discharge changed, as I felt that I was misdiagnosed as having a Personality Disorder. My request was denied.

In 2007, I was diagnosed as having PTSD, and I was awarded VA compensation benefits (PTSD Service Connected)

Over the years, I have filed to increase my SC disability, and here recently I have been looking in to requesting to have my records corrected to state medical discharge/medical retiremen and to have my discharge upgraded to "Honorable" I felt that I should have been medically retired, based on being misdiagnosed.

I few months ago, I submitted a claim to the VA, and  more evidence per the advice of my doctor, in the hopes of having my rating increased.  This past week, I received the VA's official rating decision. My rating has stayed the same, but the VA has added more issues to my Service Connected PTSD. Rating Decision is as follows:

The evaluation of PTSD, unspecified Personality Disorder, alcohol use disorder is continued at 30%.

(Personality Disorder and Alcohol Use Disorder had not been previously included)

Basically, it states that my Personality Disorder is service connected. Examiner states that it is their opinion my Service Connected PTSD was superimposed on my Personality Disorder.

I am in the processing of applying for correction of my military record to be upgraded to Honorable, and narrative reason be medically retired .I am requesting full retirement benefits.   My argument is had a PEB examined me, it would have found that I had a mental disability, not merely a personality disorder, and the PEB findings findings would have constituted  evidence of my medical condition. All of my symptoms pointed towards PTSD at the time of discharge.

I'll admit I am lost and confused. I just recently reviewed my full STR/SMR and found I was diagnosed with an Adjustment disorder during several evaluations. I was not until the last eval before separation was Personality Disorder included. Should I file a claim with the VA for Adjustment Disorder?

Any additional information is helpful.

4 answers to this question

First, I would first get an IME from a Physiologist (first) and have that Personality Disorder diagnosis removed with "evidence based" personality testing. I found out it's used often by the VA, to not pay benefits for PTSD.

Frankly, it makes me sad they would do that to Vets suffering with PTSD.  I had to stop working last year and struggle everyday with PTSD and Major Depression. My family is the only reason I'm still here. I too was only was rated at 30% too with a Axis II Avoidance Personality disorder. I wasn't even close to being like that before 1980 and 23 years of service. 

I know my Doc says the symptom criteria in the DSM-V for diagnosing PTSD has changed. Were you like that (personality disorder - symptoms) before you entered service? The VA scares me so much I can't go there for any mental health services and have ran out of money for any more treatment...and I need it to survive.

So, I feel for you brother. Hang in there!

Edited by cook76

I had no issues prior to the service. After being discharged from the Navy, I obtained an IME, in which I was diagnosed as having PTSD and Bipolar Disorder. No signs of a Personality Disorder.

This is the first time since me being discharged that the DOD and  VA has even mentioned a Personality Disorder. Let alone connecting it to my Service Connected PTSD.

I have only filed a claim with the VA for PTSD. I have other confirmed diagnoses of Bipolar Disorder and Adjustment Disorder, for which I was diagnosed at the time of discharge.

With the VA stating the Personality Disorder is connected to my PTSD, would that be the basis for a new claim? As you've stated, Ive seen that the diagnosis is often used by the VA to not pay benefits if it is used as a single diagnosis. The latest rating decision states Personality Disorder is included in my PTSD, again, which really confuses me.

I too can no longer go to the VA for mental health services.

The key word is "superimposed" as to the Personality disorder.

The important diagnosis is the SC PTSD.

If I were you I would go over the MH rating schedule here at hadit ,under the VA Schedule of Ratings because those ratings are for all MH disorders and will tell you what medical evidence they look for, when a PTSD vet applies for a higher PTSD rating.

"I too can no longer go to the VA for mental health services."

It is important to maintain any meds you are on for the PTSD and you could even attend a vet center....

I understand your concern about the VA but dont forget, VA justifies continued SC comp, with proof that the veteran still gets continuous  MH medical care.

And Good for YOU! Fight the discharge!

I am curious how long you were in?  That is a major player in separations and what you may or may not qualify for.  For example, I don't see you being awarded a medical retirement if you were rolled out in basic or technical training, which is what I infer from your post.  The more details you provide, the better advice you may receive.  GL!