VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Disability for Depression?

Rate this question

jwesley

Question

So here it is going on 4 years since I was honorably discharged from the military. Since I have been out, I seem to hit these depressing slumps of missing the military, wishing I could go back in (unable to go back in on account of a medical issue), having adjustment issues to not having the structure in my life as well as I am always "military minded" about how I deal with stress, people, other issues. I expect everyone have the same mentality from my family to my friends. I was treated once for anger issues while in the military, but this depression crap has me completely off the wall at times. I lose control when people make simple mistakes as well as ask me what I consider to be simply self explainable question. Am I even able to explain this to a VA Counselor or psychiatrist and have it service connected? Any input or advice is welcome positive or negative it is appreciated.

What you will need is some type of medical opinion and medical rationale from a VA psychiatrist or psychologist. You can start by going to your local VA clinic and speak to a VA social worker which will also help. Keep on mind that to get service connected you will need 1. An in service condition. 2. A current condition/diagnosis/disability and 3. A medical nexus that links 1. and 2. together. Depending on your symptoms the VA psyche must say that they have reviewed your medical records both SMRs and post service medical records and it is their medical opinion that your current symptoms are at least likely as not related to your military service.

He doesn't need to be examined by a VA mental clinic before filing a claim. However, all of this is correct if he chooses to have a private doctor complete a DBQ (most VA doctors won't complete the questionnaires unless requested by the VBA). When the VA orders an exam, all of this is requested.

I believe the "current diagnosis" requirement confuses many people.  When the VA orders an exam, that is used as a current diagnosis.  So the veteran really only has to prove one thing- that it happened in service.

For example, if a veteran claims depression (or PTSD, a leg condition, or anything else..) and there is evidence of the claimed condition in his/her service treatment records, the exam is ordered.  The doctor's opinion (nexus) along with the examination results (current diagnosis) are what ultimately gets the condition service connected.  It doesn't matter how many records or statements a person sends, the exam (DBQ) is 99.999999% of the time what the rating decision is generated from.  There are check boxes on these questionnaires that correspond verbatim to the rating schedule.  Therefore, this is an easy way for any veteran already in the claim process to determine which condition(s) the VA is considering to grant service connection- which exam they send you to.

More than half of the claims received do not have a current diagnosis from any doctor (private or government) and are still service connected. This is because the examination provides the diagnosis. PTSD is an excellent example- it is actually very uncommon than not (on the VA side) for a veteran to file a claim and already have a diagnosis. To top that even more, if a veteran is already service connected for another condition (not mental) and they claim they now have depression due to their service connected disability (VA term "secondary"), no current diagnosis is ever required up front. The VA does order a medical opinion, asking if the two disabilities are linked. There are so many regulations to read and it can be very confusing to the veteran. I do not discourage any veteran not to file their claim, just because their condition isn't on paper (like jwesley) because the standards are very relaxed at the moment. The VA has a duty to assist the veteran in helping prove his/her claim but, unfortunately, not all employees of the VA are alike and a very large number of them don't actually know how to preform their job. It's a lot of information and so many loopholes.

Everyone views this in a slightly different way, however, the simple answer (and truth) is you do NOT have to seek treatment for your condition to be service connected. There are many scenarios in which you would need to, like sleep apnea, but for this particular veteran (jwesley)- no, he does not. His treatment for anger would be sufficient evidence for his entitlement to an exam, which would be a mental exam.  Again, every case is different but in response to THIS (jwesley) question.. he can file his claim and, as long as his records state treatment for his anger, he will get an exam. That exam will state which disorder, if any, that he does have. That will be used as his requirement for a "current diagnosis."

andyman- good luck!

Sorry I'm new here.  I put in for a depression claim due to scaring and lower back issues,  I have never seen anyone for this before but felt that I had been dealing with depression ever since I let the VA perform surgery for reflux.  The surgery went bad and I ended up having a large scar from mid chest to my bellybutton.  I have a crazy what they call scar tissue or rib growth that is painful.  I learned later that it was my sternum that they had broke and it grew back sideways and sticks out.  I also suffer from lower back issues.  I went in to the exam for depression and explained that I can't rough house or pick up the kids due to these issues or if my wife or kids hug me hard it hurts.  After the exam I  figured the Doctor just wrote me off and I was going to get jack!, but I  received 50% for Depression.  How ever that only contributed to 10% overall.  So my point is that you don't have to take medication or see other Doctors first.  Well that's how it worked for me    

Depression can be a secondary condition to a SC.

Back and scar issue's can cause depression.  Tbird hit it on the head, get help now or as soon as you can.  The most important part of the whole thing is to get medical care for the condition, take care of yourself first thing.

The rest will tend to take care of itself as you go along.  Put in the claim when you can, you can start one to reserve a date right now on EBenefits, and you have a year to complete it.  None of this comes before your health though.