VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression as secondary

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Hello all,

I got a phone call at the end of work yesterday afternoon, can I come down for a C&P exam on Tuesday, the 3rd of November...what is this for...my claim for depression, yes I will be there.

Anyone go through an exam for depression as secondary to chronic pain?  Or even just depression, that can give me some pointers?  What should I not mention, besides life before my service? How much detail should I give?  Should I mention my night sweats, and nightmares along with my chronic sleep impairment?  How long will this type of exam take? 1 hour, 2 hours, or longer?

Semper Fi.

Andyman.

My take on 38 CFR 4 for MH conditions is: If you have all or most of whats required for a certain SC % and some or most of the next higher rating, you should get the higher rating. Been a while since I looked at it, but I as I recall, you can see the natural progression in the rating scheme.

As to the IU, if your capable of working, even at a low paying Sedentary job; you probably wouldn't currently qualify. If your current employer is making special allowances for you due to your SC Disabilities, that's a different story. You could still have Earned Income in excess of the VA's SGI figure of $12,400 per year and qualify for IU.

Take these approximate figures into consideration. An IU rating would get you approx $14K additional in Tax Free Comp, No cost Dental for you, CHAMPVA for your wife and quite possibly a sizable State Property Tax Exemption. If your under 65, you could get the VA $10K life insurance policy for free, save you another $1200 per yr. Then there is always SSDI, what's your SS Retirement age and your full boat benefit? If your actually now or in the near future, to Fracked Up to work, SSDI added to your VA SC Comp might really take the edge off. My contact is mostly with Nam Vets, those that are IU and on SS or SSDI are in the $59K per yr area. Add in the $2 to $8K for the State Property Tax Exemption for 100% or IU Vets, we're talking some significant change.

Just tell your wife to cut you some slack man. Significant others can be a real help or hindrance and it doesn't sound like she's much help currently.

Semper Fi

Gastone,

My gross is in the mid-40K range, depending on how much overtime I work.  I'm working a lot less this year than I had before, because I can't handle it anymore.  It's getting too hard to wake up early without enough days off in between.  And my body isn't recovering as quick as it did in the past either.  So, my aim, now, is to get to the point of quitting the ot all together.  Wife agreed with me that at 90% I can do that.  She does understand some of it, but it frustrates her sometimes.  She knows that if I'm forced to quit working, she won't be able to earn enough to bridge the gap, as it is now I earn nearly double with out including the VA $.

I'm only 42, so my SSI age is 65-67, I believe.  She's  been a part-time stay at home mom since 9-9-01.  I know she would never forgive me if I willingly quit working and go IU.  It would be different if I actually had to due to physical ailments, she understands that part.

My twin brother had to do that, and she thinks it was a willing choice, since he had made some comments that seemed to her that he was trying to game the system.  Never mind that his SCDs actually limit him from even most sedentary jobs.  She's afraid that I'm trying to do that too, and I keep saying that I'm not talking or thinking of quitting my job.  When my brother did that, his family dynamic imploded and he ended up giving up his kids, which my parents took in and have long since legally adopted them.  And I have to live with this, every day,  when ever she feels threatened, or doesn't understand, she lashes out at me.

I try to tell her that I'm doing this so our future will be protected and secured.  It's a lot easier to try and figure out what comes next, when you don't have to worry about the money.   I'm worried about how long my body will hold out, how much longer I can keep my MH from totally disintegrating, and add her fears and worries on top of that....and it's a burden that's all but broken me, I'm like the camel waiting for that last bit of hay to drop and break me.  Worse yet, her mom has said that she is worried that if something happens to me(she knows nothing of my SCDs or anything) she'll have to move in.  So add that to my burden.

Just me but I'd recommend the IU claim and dealing with her after you get the award. If your still working minimal or part time, you need to support the IU claim with documentation from your current employer that he is having to make concessions due to your SC conditions. Might and probably will, have to Appeal an initial Denial.

Check out the Rating Calculator, you can't get a 100% rating (Your 80% now) without an 80% new SC, Does the 38 CFR show a rating of 80% for Depression? A new 70% would only get you to 94 rounded down to 90% SC. Then you need another new SC at 50%, very difficult. IU would be much quicker if you meet the requirements.

Check with SS Administration regarding your current eligibility for SSDI. Doesn't sound like your primary employment problem is a range of motion deal, more a MH Disability issue. You may end up being determined to be unemployable by both VA & SS. Doesn't hurt to try and you've got the time, right. Nice size Retro Award from either or both, would take the edge off.

Semper Fi