VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

MED board for PTSD/Rated at 70% by VA for PTSD

Rate this question

Dfinnusmc

Question

Good evening,

I have been going through the med board process with the USCG for past 4 months,and referred this week to PEB as unfit due to PTSD.

I served with USMC in the Gulf War and am a combat vet,rated this year by VA at 70% for PTSD. Just wondering if anyone has

been through the PEB process and what to expect as a rating from the USCG.No one in USCG I have spoken to has any idea what to expect

I am currently in the USCG reserve and have served both active and reserve for 17 years.

Thanks for any advice

1 answer to this question

Welcome!  I have not been thru a PEB myself, but I did stand as a character witness in one a few years ago.  That was a different situation, though, it was and 18 year AD special operator they wanted to separate and give severance.  By the time the PEB met, he was 8 months from his 20 years and they still recommended separation and 20%.  We had to involve our Command to turn it off and let him retire, but I know that most Commands would not put forth the effort, as sad and disgusting as that is.

I know that none of that really applies to you but it points out again, that none of these processes are in place to help us, but to help the military and/or the govt.  Force reductions can happen many ways and medical is one of their favorite, tried & true ways to do this.  They tried to start this process on me at 17 years, but I already had the experience relate3d above as well as several of my troops who went out on medical, so I stuck to not reaching OMB (optimum medical benefit) and throwing quotes from the medical regulations at the Flight Docs and the DAWG. Like the VA, they don't read their own regulations.  Knowledge is power. I ended up cross-training to a desk job for my last few years but made it to my 20.

From what I have heard from several of my troops that went thru this is and from my own research:  Usually they will rate the same, but not always.  Many times, the VA rating may even be the higher rating, BUT you are in a bit of an unusual situation, it appears.  Usually, the Service Dept. (USCG, in this case) will give a rating first and then you will get an 'offer' from the VA after.  You already have a VA rating, so I don't see the USCG rating differently.  I think this is a good thing for you.  It will mean a retirement, not a separation, I believe.  Any issues other than the condition(s) incompatible with continued service are deferred to the VA and not calculated in for the purposes of determining retirement or separation. 

I hope some of this was helpful to you, good luck!