VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

*Trigger Warning* A victory I never had faith would happen...

Rate this topic

jcox129

I have a compensation claim in progress for PTSD due to MST, and for Major Depression. My claim is still in progress, but after 11 months waiting for news, I found out on Friday that my discharge was upgraded to Honorable for VA purposes. This is a huge step, because it means that they looked at the evidence I submitted in my FDC and determined that my reason for going AWOL was brought on by the sexual assaults. I never thought I would actually win this...I was only seventeen when I enlisted and went AWOL after less than six months after enlisting, after being raped and threatened by a group of guys I served with. I was detained and outprocessed about 5 months after going AWOL - one month after turning 18. I received an other than honorable discharge. Sixteen years later, this news feels to good to be true. I have been battling these demons for almost half of my life, and even though this isn't over, will never be over for me, and my claim is still being processes, I finally feel some hope because they acknowledged that I had a justified reason for leaving and deserve to be recognized as having served. According to my MST coordinator at the Lincoln Regional Office, I can now get free counseling and mental health care for my service related PTSD and depression through the VA. For me, this is huge. I have been hospitalized for it numerous times in the last decade and a half but have always had to quit counseling because I couldn't afford it. I know there is still a chance I will not receive disability compensation, but honestly, I thought my discharge would be the deciding factor holding me back from it. So now I have a little bit of hope. I just wanted to share with others because I know that trying to get a Character of Discharge determination can be harrowing, but it does sometimes work out!

Edited by jcox129

jcox129, Congratulations on this discharge victory!!! This will surely open other doors for you. My heart dropped at reading your story. You have to know that you are a powerful woman and to keep going no matter what any rater may say. I see a book in your future. Write it about - change the names, but document your journey. Good luck! You never know - you may just become a blessing to other women soldiers who are afraid to tell their story. Good luck to you! Salute!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

Congratulations in having your discharge upgraded to honorable! That is some seriously major progress. Stay strong and I wish you the best of luck in your claim!

The VA hospitals and clinics are not the only place you can seek counseling. MST and combat veterans can also seek free counseling from Vet Centers, which are located all over the country. It's a more casual atmosphere, free coffee, and no doctors walking around in white lab coats. They don't prescribe meds, but they provide an honorable service.

• HadIt.com Elder

Congratulation on your discharge upgrade.

You have now every right to persure your MST..if you have already filed  you can check on your status. via IRIS

if you have not filed for MST do so ASAP.

You have every right to receive ALL your military benefit's and compensation 

Sorry for what happen to you  this kind of thing makes me sick!

Keep trying never give up!

..............Buck

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use