VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

*Trigger Warning* A victory I never had faith would happen...

Rate this topic

jcox129

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Because you have a couple of weeks before your appointment, I recommend you research on this site and others about what a C&P exam is like, the do's and the dont's. Also, look over the DBQ and it will give you an idea of what type of questions to expect.

Congratulation on the discharge upgrade.  However, I would be especially guarded on optimism on your PTSD/MST claim.  I wish I had money for every VSO/VA employee who told me my claim would be done in a matter of weeks.   I have an email from the then VARO director who said my claim should be done in 4 to 6 weeks, and that was in 2006.  9 years later and its not close to done, and I have an honorable discharge.  In those 9 years I have been to the BVA, the CAVC,  and now waiting to go back to the BVA for still another remand.    I sincerely hope that you do get a C and P and a satisfactory resolution in 4 weeks.  

However, I have a real problem with those VA employees who make such unrealistic promises.  Its like going to a doctor.  If you go to a real doc, he says make an appointment, you go see him. He prescribes medicine and tells you if it does not work, to make another appointment.  Notice:  No promises or guarantees of quick cures, ever.

If you go to a quack, however, he says he can guarantee you will be well fast..just send him your money.  The real doc underpromises and over delivers, while the fraud overpromises and under delivers.  Guess which category the employee who promised an answer in 4 weeks is in?  

A real, honest employee would tell you that they did not know.  They may guess, but they would probably make such a guess based on the fact that only about 15 percent of claims are approved on the first try, and BVA appeals take about 4 years.  And there is no guarantee that a single BVA appeal will suffice.  46% of claims at the BVA are remanded onto a hampster wheel.  Just read the BVA chairmans report:

Edited by broncovet

broncovet - Yes, the timeline was too good to be true. I did expect that it would take longer - I personally know people who have waited a decade - so I do know that anything the VA employees say should be taken with a grain of salt. As it stands, I did receive a phone call today from the Omaha VA Medical Center and my C&P is scheduled for December 17th at 1pm here in Lincoln, where I live (at the Lincoln CBCO), with a female examiner. They are mailing out my letter. 

Vync - Thanks for the C & P info. I feel lucky to have over a month to read up more on it, and to not have to travel for it. I have read a lot of info on C & P's here and elsewhere and will continue reading about other people's experiences. I am expecting it to be harrowing. I did submit a DBQ and Nexus from a private provider with my claim, not realizing that for Mental Health, a VA examiner is required to do one. There is so much conflicting "info" on the internet and it is frustrating as hell to try to keep all my ducks in a row. I don't do well with unforeseen developments. I am glad the DBQ prepared me for the types of things I'll be asked, though.

Thanks for the help, everyone. On to the next step...

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Vync - Thanks for the C & P info. I feel lucky to have over a month to read up more on it, and to not have to travel for it. I have read a lot of info on C & P's here and elsewhere and will continue reading about other people's experiences. I am expecting it to be harrowing. I did submit a DBQ and Nexus from a private provider with my claim, not realizing that for Mental Health, a VA examiner is required to do one. There is so much conflicting "info" on the internet and it is frustrating as hell to try to keep all my ducks in a row. I don't do well with unforeseen developments. I am glad the DBQ prepared me for the types of things I'll be asked, though.

It sounds like you will be more prepared than most veterans. Yeah, for some reason, the VA wants a second opinion on PTSD claims - even if the original DBQ was filled out by a VA psych doctor.

Just remind yourself that the exam will be over before you know it. If you take psychotropic meds, such as valium or xanex, it might be worth waiting until after the exam because they could mask your responses. If you have a close friend or family member, ask them to drive you to or from the exam.

You might want to consider bring copies of any diary entries, letters home, documentation, or family/buddy statements which are in your favor, to the exam because they can be beneficial. Just be aware that not all C&P doctors will accept them, but you can still submit them to the RO.

Glad to help and wish you the best with your exam.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use