VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Decision which way is better

Rate this topic

Jay

Congrats on the great news, and I agree with above, as long as all of your Disabilities are SC that you might one day die of, or if you are young enough to make it to the 10 yr mark, so there is no issues for you spouse to receive Benefits, God Forbid something happen to you, then go for the IU. Good luck and keep us posted

A little clearer but I think you may have been awarded IU based on strictly your PTSD and not a Scheduler 100% for PTSD. Not uncommon for Vets that get an IU Award, to make the mistake. Unless you had an Inferred IU claim or a 5 year old IU Appeal, your not looking at $50K in retro. IU Trot generally can go back up to 12 months before the IU claim is filed, if the Evidence or Record supports it.

Based on my personal experience and that of a number of Nam Vets I work with, You usually receive the Retro Deposit in your Bank account up to 3 weeks before you receive Official Notice in the mail of your Award.

Have you actually received the VA Big Brown Award Envelope yet? It may clear up the misunderstanding. Should have been some Deposit action at your Bank.

Semper Fi

Gastone  yes I have received the Brown Folder and the award is definitely scheduler.  It says IU is denied unless I can furnish evidence to approve the below. 

It said I am not eligible for IU unless I can furnish proof of unemployment back further than 2015 which I know I can go back as far as 2011 which means I will get retro pay.  If I can't prove evidence back farther than 2015 I am stuck with Scheduler with no retro.  So which road do I take Scheduler with no retro dated 2015 forward or 2011 IU and retro but can't work in the future if I ever find I am able too.

Or is there a possible 3rd option where they would grant me IU from 2011 to 2015 then From 2015 to Present appoint Scheduler from that point on?

What have any of you seen happen?  What is the likely scenario? 

Thanks for all your inputs

Edited by Jay

• HadIt.com Elder

If you feel your disability will get better or show improvement  and you want to work  sure take what you feel is better for you and your family.

Just remember TDIU P&T & SSDI is a pretty good living...and your spouse can work.

so unless you make a better income working  I can see your point wanting to work.

but just remember if your TDIU P&T you can't work  ....if your 100%scheduler you can work.

I never heard of VA giving this choice to Disabled SC Veterans?

.....Buck

Or is there a possible 3rd option where they would grant me IU from 2011 to 2015 then From 2015 to Present appoint Scheduler from that point on?

The crazy one here, It sounds like you just got your award letter awarding you 100% scheduler based on your current medical records/evidence but in the same letter VA states that if  you can prove that you were unemployable in 2011 you can claim TDIU. If you have medical records/evidence dated back in 2011 that you were not working or you were unemployable you should do whatever VA is asking for to get both ratings.  The 100% TDIU for being unemployable/not working and the current 100% scheduler for your conditions becoming static (meaning at least the same level or worst than in 2011)

IMHO always keep in mind that due to you mental health condition it is best for you, your family, any employer and anyone that would come in contact with you not to work because anything could trigger an episode and then you may lose that position. I again say that it would be best to go for both ratings.
Edited by pete992

Pete992

Yes I think your statement hit it on the nose.  I think they are telling me to prove I couldn't work since 2011.  And in the mean time they are granting me from 2015 forward because the     condition(s) became worse, static, and scheduler.  This is how I am reading into it anyways. 

Anyways I cant complain, it's all a blessing.

I'll keep you all posted. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use