VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Tankguy120

Question

I had a BVA in July and just received my reply. It was not totally bad news... HOWEVER, I had claimed that i had abnormal liver functions since i returned from Iraq. The ALJ noted that because my civilian doctor held that I had a form of chronic liver disease and the VA denied it, he thinks that an exploration of that nexus should take place. 

SO, my question is in regard to the specific rating scheme i should be looking at to build my case. I have a nexus to active duty because i took Mefloquine for malaria prevention while i was in country and there are SEVERAL studies now that link chronic liver disease, hepatic cirrhosis and even fatty liver to the drug. HOWEVER, when i look for anything that has to do with the liver i come up with a blank....  I am now heavy and have without a doubt have a fatty liver because of that BUT, I have medevac records that show that I was about 70 pounds lighter when my civilian doctor found the problem.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

1 answer to this question

There certainly is some medical association between Larium (Mefloquine) and liver disease.

http://homecomingvets.com/the-mefloquine-controversy-is-this-anti-malaria-drug-dangerous-to-your-health-long-term/

And there are numerous other studies etc on this, via google.

This would need a very strong IMO from your civilian doctor, with a full medical rationale that the anti malaria drug was the only possible etiology or cause of your current liver disease.

What is the medical term for the type of liver disease you have?

The chronic presumptives are listed in this thread with their specific regulartions.

Cirrhosis of the liver is one of them: