VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pre 9-11 Marines and Non-combat PTSD

Rate this question

MARINEVET95

Question

Never sought help. 

Daily flashbacks, routine nightmares. Physically, teeth are really worn down from the nightmares, dentists always ask me what the hell happened to me;

A Marine rilfleman from the 90s. Unfortunately, the whole tour was undocumented chronic hazing and abuse;

Does the VA recognize ptsd for Marines of our generation?

Is it basically no combat action, no recognition for ptsd?

We don't have the documentation, just honorable discharges and the "change"

Generally, without the ability to prove stressor events, the answer would be NO.

However, there are documented cases where PTSD, left untreated, can lead to (or trigger), other Mental Health (MH) issues, such as depression or bi-polar, even schizophrenia.

You may have had the genetic or social markers to acquire one of these diseases, and the PTSD stressors brought it on.

I suggest you get to the VA MH facility near you, let them evaluate you and determine what it is that you've really got.  (Diagn osis DX).

Then, with a good DX, you can properly apply for compensation.  In the meantime, try to recall and document your stressor events.

You won't know, until you know! Your a Vet with a period of active duty service. If you think you have PTSD, start by seeing a VA PC Dr and request a PTSD screening Evaluation. If you make the cut, you'll be referred to the VA (MH) Mental Health Dept where anther PTSD Screening will be performed. If you make that cut, you should be offered a choice between seeing a Psychiatrist/Psychiatrist Phd or Group Therapy. At least that was the program back in 2010.

Seeing a private PTSD Therapist could help,  but is extremely expensive. Try the VMC 1st.

Might not be a bad idea to download a VA PTSD DBQ, to see what your up against. Also, review the PTSD DSM V.

If you truly believe you have a SC Claim, I think you can still file a "Notice of Intent to file a VA SC Claim" in order to establish your file/Retro date. At this point, you don't have everything necessary to file an FDC claim,  a Regular Axx non-combat PTSD claim could take 2+ yrs and will require Buddy Statements & medical evidence up the Kazooo, which it doesn't appear you currently have in your possession, right. Your's will not be a Slam Dunk Award, plan for a Denial and Appeal which could add another 2+ years to your claim.

So, time to get busy!

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Gastone

I believe a veteran can write a lay statement of a non-combat event and describe what happen and the location and time/date  and have records to prove this/buddy statements  ect,,ect,,, to put it in that time frame, it don't have to be exact  but close as possibly to what happen VA has a time limit within 60 days or closer to get to the event in question, I also think that some times even a stressor is not good enough to receive compensation  they rate on your symptoms and remember they won't rate on being unsociable alone

you need to have the symptoms of PTSD, Documented by the VA MH Dept and a Diagnoses and a statement mentioning its likely as not because of his military service that the veteran describes of the event.

jmo

..........Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

I might add.

On the DBQ's  its not Necessary  to fill in every blank  it depends on the situation if it don't pertain to your claim then just draw a line through it write ''not applicable''

.....................Buck

Never sought help. 

Daily flashbacks, routine nightmares. Physically, teeth are really worn down from the nightmares, dentists always ask me what the hell happened to me;

A Marine rilfleman from the 90s. Unfortunately, the whole tour was undocumented chronic hazing and abuse;

Does the VA recognize ptsd for Marines of our generation?

Is it basically no combat action, no recognition for ptsd?

We don't have the documentation, just honorable discharges and the "change"

Hey there Devil Dog!!!  I feel your pain, really, I do!  I was in from 11/92-11/98.  Missed a field trip in 1994, in support of Rwanda, but made same in '96 in support of Liberia.  Mostly flying into Freetown to pick up refugees coming outa Monrovia, via Phrogs and the 2/2 MEU.  We ended up with a Presidential Unit Citation.  I was a maintenance Marine with a KC-130 squadron. 

But as we all know, field trips count for squat.  My teeth are about half worn off.  My dentist swears I'm a night time grinder, but not so.  I do clench the crap out of them, though.

Nightmares, nightsweats, trouble sleeping, chronic pain from falling down stairs at MCRD San Diego.  Oh yeah, and 1 alcohol related NJP too.

MARINEVET95, you came to the right place, these Vets here, they will guide you down the right path.

Semper Fi.

Andyman