VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Good to go on my claim.

Rate this topic

jetdoc3037

Thanks guys...yall are so helpful. Now don't think I'm trying to be a troublemaker already, haha, but I did call both the VA and also FT Meade VA clinic and they both said the same thing to me:

I do not need the Veterans card if I have a military card. They both said that the Vet card doesn't show you're disabled or anything, its mostly used to get on the base, or to use at Lowes, etc..obviously my ID card will do the same.

They both also said I do not need to go in a see anyone in the VA clinic unless I want to. I do not need a PCP type pick now or anything. I only will be required to go in when or if they ask me to, ie: a NOD or a new claim, etc.

Anyways, just say'n that is what both the VA and also the VA clinic at Ft Meade told me.

I would ignore that advice from them.  Not to imply that the VA is not good at their job, lol.  I am retired and here they still REQUIRED me to get one of their ID's.  As far as seeing them at their clinic, they REQUIRED that, too.  I still have an AD PCM and they still required me to go to them and the VA Doc (retired AD) said I needed to come by annually or I was at risk of losing my benefits. Locally, they may tell you that to save themselves the work, but they are not doing you any favors, believe me.  Locally, they may have different 'opinions' or 'procedures' but when it is all said and done, most 'disagreements' you may have with the VA have the potential to escalate to higher venues, nullifying any local SOP.

I have seen it too many times while researching, vets with well-established disabilities fighting reductions down the line because they don't use a VA Doc.  I will be going to them annually so they update the notes in their system reflecting my continued care elsewhere, and I would suggest you avoid that trap as well.

Jetdoc,

Welcome to Hadit!  One thing I want to add, while not overly serious, is this; if you do get into the system, and get assigned a PCP, make sure you get at least an annual check up.  Years ago I was getting treated, but stopped going due to getting personally billed for what should have been SCD related treatment.  I was out 5 years when I made contact to get seen by my PCP. 

They told me that I would have to start with an initial work up as if I was a new patient and get assigned to a PCP.  Never was I informed that my compensation would be effected or reduced.  But it took 4 months to get back in.  This was 10 years ago, when I got back in.  I am working and have private insurance and drs, but do see my PCP for hypertension and stuff.  Keep in mind that this was my experience, others will have different stories.

Nonetheless, you made a great choice by joining the Hadit family!

Semper Fi, Marine!

Andyman

• HadIt.com Elder

That's VA way of controlling us.

Thanks for the info guys..... Yea can't hurt to get a vet card.  Is it true that the card doesn't show u have a disability rating?.... And will make appt to see a PCP... thanks again 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use