VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loans Discharged!

Rate this topic

seejeremy

24 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Question: Is this for the Veteran only or will it help Dependents under Chapter 35? 

Foreveryoung, dependents can not use the federal student loan discharge unless they are a 100% service connected veteran but CH35 should cover all of their student loans.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
15 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Question: Is this for the Veteran only or will it help Dependents under Chapter 35? 

I tried to use this for my wife's student loans after I won 100% P&T. They told me that I could only if my name was also on the student loans. Be sure to call and ask. If they say otherwise, let me and everyone else know!

Does anyone know if the IRS considers a student loan discharge as taxable income?

Yes Vync, according to the disability loan discharge paperwork I got from Nelnet, the IRS does consider student loan discharge as taxable income.  I just applied for the student loan discharge due to TDIU, p and t.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
17 hours ago, labrat said:

Yes Vync, according to the disability loan discharge paperwork I got from Nelnet, the IRS does consider student loan discharge as taxable income.  I just applied for the student loan discharge due to TDIU, p and t.

Well, I guess it is still a lot cheaper than paying back the entire balance.

Pete992

I co-signed a large Student Choice Education Line of Credit Loan with my daughter for her 4 year degree. When she graduated, I had to refinance it to manage the payments to start paying it off. Chapter 35 helped out a lot, but not the full amount. Unless I'm missing something. She is still paying Federal Direct Stafford Loans and Federal Work Study loans the school allied her for.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use