VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

what does this mean?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I been going for PTSD /Unspecific Depressive Disorders Therapy 

what does this mean?

1,Emotional schema therapy

2.Socratic  systematic desensitization. 

Also the therapist mention that '' instead of Feelings of the past I should think of as a''Experince''...How are we suppose to do that?

anybody?

...................Buck

Edited by Buck52

4 answers to this question

Buck

1.  Short version:  The theory says you did not get what you needed when young and they are trying to fix that now. 

Schema Theory
1x1.gif

The four main concepts in the Schema Therapy model are: Early Maladaptive Schemas, Core Emotional Needs, Schema Mode, and Maladaptive Coping Styles.
1x1.gif

The 18 Early Maladaptive Schemas are self-defeating, core themes or patterns  that we keep repeating throughout our lives.
1x1.gif

Early Schemas relate to the basic emotional needs of a child. When these needs are not met in childhood, schemas develop that lead to unhealthy life patterns.  Each of the 18 schemas represent cpecific emotional needs that were not adequately met in childhood or adolescence.
1x1.gif

Maladaptive Coping Styles are the ways the child adapts to schemas and to damaging childhood experiences.  For example, some children surrender to their schemas; some find ways to block out or avoid pain; while other children fight back or overcompensate.
1x1.gif

Schema Modes are the moment-to-moment emotional states and coping responses that we all experience.  Often our schema modes are triggered by life situations that we are oversensitive to (our "emotional buttons").  Many schema modes lead us to overreact to situations, or to act in ways that end up hurting us.
1x1.gif

The main goals of Schema Therapy are: to help patients strengthen their Healthy Adult mode; weaken their Maladaptive Coping Modes so that they can get back in touch with their core needs and feelings; to heal their early maladptive schemas; to break schema-driven life patterns; and eventually to get their core emotional needs met in everyday life.
1x1.gif

To read more about these concepts, click on the links to the right.  Source: http://www.schematherapy.com/id30.htm
2.   In short, the therapist tries to get you over your fear using relaxation.  Longer version:

Systematic Desensitization

by Saul McLeod twitter icon published 2008

systematic desensitisation

Systematic desensitization is a type of behavioral therapy based on the principle of classical conditioning. It was developed by Wolpe during the 1950s. This therapy aims to remove the fear response of a phobia, and substitute a relaxation response to the conditional stimulus gradually using counter conditioning. There are three phases to the treatment:

First the client forms a hierarchy of fear, involving the conditioned stimulus (e.g. a spider), that are ranked from least fearful to most fearful.

Next, the patient is also given training in relaxation techniques. E.g. control over breathing, muscle detensioning or meditation. Wolpe taught his patients relaxation responses because it is not possible to be both relaxed and anxious at the same time.

Finally, the client progresses along the fear hierarchy while simultaneously using relaxation techniques. The client works their way up starting at the least unpleasant and practicing their relaxation technique as they go. When they feel comfortable with this (they are no longer afraid) they move on to the next stage in the hierarchy.

The client repeatedly imagines (or is confronted by) this situation until it fails to evoke any anxiety at all, indicating that the therapy has been successful. This process is repeated while working through all of the situations in the anxiety hierarchy until the most anxiety-provoking.

Thus, for example, a spider phobic might regard one small, stationary spider 5 meters away as only modestly threatening, but a large, rapidly moving spider 1 meter away as highly threatening. The client reaches a state of deep relaxation, and is then asked to imagine (or is confronted by) the least threatening situation in the anxiety hierarchy.

The number of sessions required depends on the severity of the phobia. Usually 4-6 sessions, up to 12 for a severe phobia. The therapy is complete once the agreed therapeutic goals are met (not necessarily when the person’s fears have been completely removed).

Exposure can be done in two ways   Source:  http://www.simplypsychology.org/Systematic-Desensitisation.html

1x1.gif
Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks bronconvet 

I've had 18 sessions so for and I don't think any of it has helped me  although the therapist mention that some of the things I mention to him has helped me...??

example  Veterans day  my spouse wanted me to go out and get a free meal she would go with me, well about 5:00pm I decided to try it...we went out got in line shook hands with a lot of veterans, I was nervous and getting to feeling  anxiety pretty bad  but I kept standing in line  then two veterans started bringing up old war stories about there time in Nam...some of the things they mention I knew what they were talking about  and I don't care to hear that stuff anymore  and I told my wife come on lets go home..we left,

I had to see my therapist couple days later for a 60 minute session.

I mention this to him, he said hey that;s great you at least got out and went, that's a good start, but I mention to him I had some bad nightmares and it seemed as real as yesterday, he said it was good that I just got out.

I told him this is WHY i don't like to get out.  he has yet to answer that?

I want to learn to let things not bother me so much  but he says by doing the things that bother me will help me..but some of the things I try so hard to do  if I keep it up...will only land me in Jail.

some of the things I don't understand that he says  its like a reverse physiology thing?

I am no good in group sessions...I am nervous and just clam up so to speak.

but this ''systemic therapy don't seem to be helping me...I mean after 18 sessions?

The therapist means well  but from what I get from him is not helping me?

............Buck

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Buck,
You've carried the traumatic events from decades ago with you for some time. My father was in Vietnam also and it's the same way with him, too. Sometimes it might take a while to see any results. That's why the initial visits require so many questions. They have to gently poke and prod to see where you are at. It is not necessarily reverse psychology, but think of it as trial and error. If one type of treatment doesn't work, they'll try another. Some treatments might require more time than others. Sometimes a combination of therapies might work, including the same with medications.

R3dneck is right that sometimes it can make a difference who your therapist is. Even changing to a therapist of a different gender or age might be beneficial. Group therapy can be beneficial because it allows you to hear others with similar problems and learn from them and relate to them. Even just listening without participating can be a benefit.

Regarding feelings of the past vs. an experience, I guess the therapist is trying to help you dissect your feelings from the actual experience itself. I don't know if this is a good analogy, but while at the VAMC this morning it took forever. I arrived an hour early for my appointment, but did not get in to see the doctor until more than an hour after the scheduled time. I was starting to get angry about it (feelings) and tried to be nice to the clerks every 30 minutes when checking on it, but the doc examined me and provided treatment (experience). I'll go home and tell my wife that it was another lame day at the VAMC. I'm not happy about wasting my day (feelings) and I'll let it go in time (therapists goal), but in the context of the VAMC, the "experience" was typical. Not sure if this helps, but I hope it does.