VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Today is important Short Term Disability--IU?

Rate this question

Corpsman8404

Question

Need some advice.  As the title states, today is pretty important to me. A major decision, today.

I have an appt @1500 with my Psychiatrist, and I'm going to bring up Short Term Disability questions.  She mentioned it months ago for me since I had to work around timelines at work.  I stated then that I wasn't sure if I wanted work to "know" about my PTSD, et cetera.  Now, I am at that point (waaay past that point) of getting no work done, being written up, and basically close to being let go.  I cannot concentrate, I feel like a zombie, and my PTSD symptoms are worsening. I am going to ask her today what her thoughts are on this.  I cannot work any more, keep missing days, et cetera.  I need to insure that she is going to back me up on this, basically.  I make good money (over 80k) but I cannot continue to do this, anymore.

1) I have short term and long term disability coverage, at work.  I'm not sure how to go about this, other than what the "document" says, "notify supervisor, then notify insurance company".

2) My goal, is to get short term, not have to deal with the stress/anxiety of work, be able to go to PTSD meetings and appointments, and then transition to IU. Have others done this? CAN I apply for IU if I am on short term disability?

I have put this decision off for so long. Since we share much with each other here, I am sure it is because I am embarrassed, and how others at work will think of me, after this. I may/may not be let go if I apply, but I DO know I cannot keep doing nothing at work and keep my job. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I have had to use short term disability at work before due to surgery, but not for MH factors. Your Human Resources department would be the ones to contact to initiate short term (ST) disability and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). I had to fill out some forms and the doc also had to fill out forms. Each company and state will have different rules an policies. HR is supposed to keep the details discreet to a certain degree. I mean, if you are out and come back with a cast on your leg, that is pretty obvious. They are not supposed to tell your fellow employees the medical details behind your absence.

ST disability provides a paycheck while you are out. The amount they pay can be 100%, 75%, or something else depending on the policy.

FMLA provides up to 12 weeks of job security. It is not tracked by calendar year, but instead is tracked based off of the last 12 consecutive months. You don't get paid for this, but if you improve and return to work within the duration, at least your job will still be there. You don't have to use FMLA up all at once. If you use up all your FMLA, there is no guarantee your job will be waiting for you should you decide to try and return to work.

If you use up all of your ST disability, you might also consider long term (LT) disability, if you happen to have that benefit. They tend to pay less than ST.

One more thing. When you are on ST, LT, or FMLA, you'll probably be required to have your doctor fill out documentation at every visit. Some non-VA docs may charge a fee to fill out the documents. HR and the insurance companies will hound the hell out of you for this. They will want to know how long you will be gone, when you will be able to return to work, etc... Some docs might simply say, I need to see you in two weeks and you will have to request more paperwork each visit. It can be like a hamster wheel. Other docs might ask you to return for follow up much later.

Another option might be to look into reasonable accommodations. This may also be available through your HR team, but there are a lot of wierd rules about qualifications. If you work for a large company, they are supposed to accommodate. If you work for a small company with a few employees, they are not necessarily required to accommodate. The idea behind this is your doctor will recommend changes and the company will look into providing some sort of solution to help. Sometimes all it takes is some small changes to turn a troublesome situation into one which could be win-win for the employee and the employer. The company can provide something different than what the doc recommends, but it is supposed to be effective. Sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error and time. For example, some folks with PTSD have problems being approached from behind and rearranging work environments can help. If an empty office is available where you can close the door and have some privacy and concentrate, that can help, but some companies will be total jerks about it. If you are interested in this as a possible avenue, look up the Job Accommodation Network. They have a hotline you can call and talk to people about it and they are very friendly people. There is no requirement for you to request accommodations, but if you end up considering a return to work, it might be something worth exploring.

As far as transitioning to IU status, many others here have taken that route. I never tried this because I still am employed. I'll defer to others about IU.

Good luck!

Vync,

Thank's for the info. I appreciate it.

I am wanting to completely cease being in a work environment. I will know more when I speak to my Dr today.  My VSO had mentioned applying for IU awhile back, too. I just cannot do this anymore. I have ST (60 percent) and LT available to me, and I personally feel I "should" be able to use it, since I paid for it.  We all know how that goes with Corporations/Insurance, though...

Vync,

Thank's for the info. I appreciate it.

I am wanting to completely cease being in a work environment. I will know more when I speak to my Dr today.  My VSO had mentioned applying for IU awhile back, too. I just cannot do this anymore. I have ST (60 percent) and LT available to me, and I personally feel I "should" be able to use it, since I paid for it.  We all know how that goes with Corporations/Insurance, though...

I completely understand. I figured I would share my personal experiences and you would at least have an idea of your options.

I wish you the best of luck and hope everything goes well!

• Founder

corpsman8404 - i collected short term and long term mine went pretty easily, my doctor took me off work it may have been easier because she initiated but i'm not sure. short term and long term disability are your benefits, don't feel bad about using them. first things first, get your time off work and get your appointments set up your health is the most important thing once you have a solid foundation under you start the iu process.

corpsman8404 - i collected short term and long term mine went pretty easily, my doctor took me off work it may have been easier because she initiated but i'm not sure. short term and long term disability are your benefits, don't feel bad about using them. first things first, get your time off work and get your appointments set up your health is the most important thing once you have a solid foundation under you start the iu process.

+1 to that!

Thanks, Tbird.

Spoke with Psychiatrist today, and she was helpful but pretty much stated in a round about way that she wasn't the one that could make that determination about quitting work, et cetera. She does want me in the PTSD classes, but those are during the daytime. I want to be in those, too. Hence, right back to square one of having to miss work, and the stress of being fired any day now.

Get fired....apply for IU // Get short term disability...apply for IU.      Decisions. 

We spoke about finding someone in my HR Dept at work that could be discreet and find more info from them. She is understanding, and helpful but I don't know how far a "VA DR" is willing to go.  She added Welbutrin to my Lexapro, and asked about my headaches and documented that for me which may help with HA exam eventually.

She is a "Pharm" Psychiatrist, and also pretty much told me months ago that Sleep Apnea isn't tied to PTSD.... So I don't know how helpful she will be on some things.  She mentioned talking to my VSO about the short term and IU, and I went there after my exam with her, but of course I have to setup an appt to speak with them.

I guess tomorrow I will go into work, and speak with an HR rep.....and open up a can of worms. ANY more advice is helpful, thanks guys.