VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Horses?

Rate this topic

jenni2005

Might be the wrong topic, but I was wondering if anyone knew if the VA would pay for me to ride horses for ptsd therapy?  Besides escaping to nature, riding is one of the best techniques I have found.  I don't have horses myself and to get someone to take me, takes time and money as nothing is cheap anymore!

Thank you!

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm not sure but maybe the VA   I..LP.   (Independent Living Program) could help? or check with VA Voc -Rehab? which is part of the I,L,P.

Other than your VA MH Psychiatrist or LCSW could steer you in the right direction.

I personally never heard of this before but the VA May help you in some way.

Good Luck

...............Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

I found this link  it may help?

http://www.operationwearehere.com/EquineTherapy.html

...................Buck

This is not the first time I have heard of "horse therapy".  I grew up on a ranch in Western Colorado..yes, a cattle ranch, and yes, Im a "real" cowboy.  I dont mention this much.  A horse can be like a dog, but more.  I have spent long days on a horse...kind of like going in a car, but you put your stuff on the horse and go long distances.   You get saddle sore, but, like blisters from haying and other farm work, it toughens up your fanny and then you dont get saddle sore anymore.  But, if you have not ridden for a long time, like me, I would almost certainly get saddle sore again.  

Ranching is a culture that goes much slower than the city life.  I had 18 people in my graduating class.  I know each one of them, their brothers and sisters, the grades they got, and what gals or boys they went with and why they broke up.  You cant understand that when you are in a city of 2 million people.  Its like this.   If you have 18 people to get to know, and 8 years to do it, you can just take your time.  If you are in most big cities, they have 1800 classmates and know probably fewer than 18.  You just cant have 1800 very close friends, as there are not enough hours in a day to get to know that many.  

So, on the ranch we had much deeper friendships, rather than hundreds of "hi how are you" acquaintances.  When you are in a very small town and know everyone and everyone knows you, you can not "crap in your nest".  You pretty much need to tell the truth all the time, because it will come back to you.  Its a good life.  

If you can not afford a "horse", then find a close family member and make them closer.  Ask them their favorite color.  And their favorite song.  Then play it for them, after you download it and get the record.  Develop a deep connection.  Tell them your secrets..and listen to theirs.  Dont betray those secrets, your horse wont, so why should you?  A horse is about a connection, so connect with your family.  You will be happier.  Oh, one more thing.  Dont try to be happy.  You will never succeed.  You cant buy a fast enough car, fancy enough house, or good enough clothes.  Someone will have a bigger, faster, or fancier one.  If you make someone else happy, you can not possibly be unhappy, and quit trying to make you happy.    Instead, find someone who has more needs than you.  Help them.  Be concerned and care for them.  Not everyone..just them.  One at a time. 

If you help someone up the hill, you will get closer to the top yourself.  Love Deeply.  Dont be afraid of loving too much.  Trust, and be trusted.  I trust my horse, he trusts me.  I feed him and make sure he has water, every day, whether I want to or not.  Yea, you can get bucked off.  You get back up again.  I was injured on a horse, and nearly lost my life.  I got back on, after I got out of the hospital and recovered.  Forgive, even/especially when you dont want to forgive.  If you dont want to forgive them, that is the precise person you need to forgive.  Go to church, and pray to God.  Mean your prayers.  You can learn a lot from a horse, like I did.  

Edited by broncovet

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use