VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

request for buddys address

Rate this question

USMC_VET

Question

Soryr i have been offline for a bit...

i filed my OSA claim secondary to PTSD in November, which they interestingly tried to originally claim it as "Sleep Disturbance TO INCLUDE PTSD - Increase" which i had to write several letters over the last month to state "I AM NOT SEEKING AN INCREASE BUT A SECONDARY RATING".  which they finally have changed (in ebennies) to "Sleep disturbance - Reopen, Sleep Apnea- NEW".  So that was successful....

Anyways i had put in multiple sworn declarations from myslef and my wife along with a friend i was in with.  I saw on ebennies that they requested the "address for an individual who was named in your claim as having knowledge of your condition".

I am confused as he had already signed the sworn declaration as had my wife...

I feel like they are trying to tell if i made someone up or if there was something unsavory about the statement.

3 answers to this question

"Buddy Letters should always include contact information for the person writing it (address & phone number), the full name of the Veteran it's being written for, the printed name and signature of the person writing it, and the date the letter was written."

Buddy letters help but, I think you need a doctor's independent medical opinion stating that your OSA is "at least as likely as not" secondary to your PTSD in order to get a favorable outcome.

Edited by toddt

roger i am working on that.  I was moving quickly because i had to wait for my actual DX to get a IME and i wanted to have the claim in before any changes in the ratings took place.  I know years back they were looking to change the ratings regs so that a CPAP was not automatic 50% that was SUPPOSED to come into effect around jan 1 2016.  I havent heard anything about it, but i just wanted to get the claim in so this one was rushed a bit and now im scrambling for a IME.  the doctors i have contacted either wont do it for a VA claim or the one that will wants to also write up about a few other ratings and try and get me to 100% so that he can get a bigger payout for his services.

Dont get caught up worrying about the differnce between "increase" and secondary claim. Yours can be both.    Let me explain:

You need only file "one" initial claim form.  After that is done, then the rest of the stuff is an "increase".  You can get an "increase" on PTSD from 10 to 70%.  You can also get an increase by getting hearing loss at 20% which was not previously service connected.  

VA often confuses "claim" and "issue".  I would not worry about it.