VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTS Disability question

Rate this question

Dennis1989

Question

Hello,

I was recently rated at 70% for combat- PTS. I haven't even received my retro, brown envelope or any compensation yet. I am just curious how often the Re- Evaluations are. I have read every 2 years and have also seen some veterans say they've never known anyone to be re- examined in over 20 years of being disabled. I don't know if these further exams are much for PTS troops, rather than for disabilities like, anxiety... Or depression, which can be more easily healed. I'm not really worried about having a re- evaluation because its the treatment and therapy which I seek, that's important, over the compensation. I am just trying to understand the process and see what I have to prepare for.

Any input would be helpful.

thanks guys. 

5 answers to this question

Ok, first things first, there are C & P exams  where the veteran goes to have an exam to determine if the veteran will be service connected or get an increase/decrease in a particular disability category.  Then there are regular exam where the veteran goes and speak to a psychiatrist/psychologist or in a group for treatment.  Once rated VA may or may not re evaluate a veterans disability.  A veteran could even claim different disabilities without VA re evaluating his claim but with VA you will never know until they send you a letter saying that you must come in.  If that happens make sure you do not miss that C & P exam.

P. S. Forgot your official BBE (Big Brown Envelope) rating decision will tell you if you will have a re evaluation date.

Edited by pete992

"Re exams" (for purposes of reductions) occur EXACTLY when the RO wants them to occur.  That can be never, or in but a few months after your rating.  

However, your rating should say if "no further exams are scheduled".  If its "permanent and Total", then you should not need re exams.   Your "bbe" should state either way.  

Generally, however, PTSD is not something that usually "goes away" and gets better.  

Usually, after 5 years OR P and T, your rating will be considered "stabalized", and a C and P exam is rather rare for P and T or over 5 years.  Usually the only time one would be scheduled is if there is some type of "red flag".  

Example of possible red flag:  You get 100% for PTSD, which would indicate "total occupational impairment".  YOu then get a job, full time, for more than one year, and earn 100K.  That is kind of a red flag you improved enough to do some work, and you would likely get a re exam.  

Of course, if you have a convalescent or temporary rating, you should expect  a re exam in the near future.  

16 minutes ago, Dennis1989 said:

IIt makes sense to re-evaluate so people don't continue collecting when they don't need it. 

Please keep in mind that for any condition to be considered a disability it must be active or current for about six (6) months.  Most disabilities will last a person's lifetime, yes they may have there ups and downs but they most likely will continue throughout their life. 

I am in weekly therapy for my PTSD/MST and my trauma lives with me every day.  I don't think I will ever be "cured" but the therapy does help me a lot!  I encourage anyone suffering with PTSD to seek therapy and do it!  If you don't get the help, you can't begin to heal....

Stop worrying about the "what if's" - my therapist gave me a good quote that i live by..."Worry about what you can worry about RIGHT NOW".