VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Request for steps needed to Pursue PTSD Claim

Rate this question

Big Country

Question

Good afternoon all,

Can someone provide me with the steps to pursue my PTSD Claim?  I have been diagnosed and have documentation from a non VA provider but understanding that I need the diagnosis from a VA Physician.  I need to know to whom and where to start the process and what form(s) to submit.  Currently, I have rated with Dysthmia and not sure how a PTSD claim will affect my current rating of 30%.  Please help!

Big Country

Edited by Big Country
Corrections

3 answers to this question

PTSD is pretty much the same as any other claim except that:

1.  You need a VA doc's diagnosis.  VA is as dumb as a teenager, but thinks they are so smart, only VA docs can diagnose PTSD.   So they are just like a teenager, they know nothing but think they know it all.  Its very dumb because, then, Veterans could go to private physicians and take some of the backlog off VA docs for those who can afford private doctors.  Its a shaft to Vets, because even people who can afford real medical treatment have to go to a VA doc to get a PTSD diagnosis.  Its classic VA mismanagement/ Micro mis management.  

2.  You need a "stressor"...a documented in service event that caused your PTSD.  No stressor=no PTSD service connection.  

With all this said, you say you are at 100%, so there may not be a purpose in persuing PTSD unless you can get it raised at least 60% for "100 plus 60" statuatory SMC S.  

Thanks Broncovet,

I've been on various meds for my PTSD prescribed by my private Psychiatrist. I guess I have to go and deal with the VA again and present those medications and my record.  I fear them screwing me over ......and having to deal with the stress of dealing with people that have no idea what we've been through will cause even more stress to my health.  

Agree as stated above, you really need Medical Evidence thru the VA to support your claim. As you and most know on here, just about anyone can go to a Civilian Doc and Say a Little This and a Little That, and the Doc will Prescribe Crazy Pills. In order for the VA to grant SC, you need to seek medical Treatment thru the VA, which is free for you anyways. I have multiple DRs at 4 Different VAs of which none are closer then 100 miles 1 way from me, but I have to go and deal with the VA crap like everyone else. Just go into the VA, ask for Treatment and use the Benefits that you worked so hard to get.  Good luck and keep us posted. God Bless