VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tomorrow is my PTSD C& P NERVOUS!

Rate this question

pumibel

Question

Hi everyone! I have not been in here for a while since I have started some classes. I bet I have some catching up to do! Last week I received a phone call from VES to schedule all of my exams ASAP, so tomorrow is my PTSD exam. I have been stressing about it for the past few days, but I know that cannot help. Next week I have to see the dentist on the 25th, a regular general medical doctor on the 27th, and on the 29th I have a bunch of X-rays and an echo-cardiogram scheduled. 

The VA had sent me a letter, dated for the 24th of December 2015, stating that they could not settle my case under the FDC program because they needed to know where all of my aches and pains were located. I was not surprised that they were going to remove my claim from the FDC, but the reasoning was suspect. I had provided all of the pain locations on my claim, and when I go to eBennies and look at my pending claim, I can see all of the places listed. Today I received another VA letter stating that the Dec letter was an error, and that all of my appointments would be scheduled very soon, so my claim would stay in the FDC program after all. yay!

I still do not know where my STRs are! The agencies from which I have requested my records (except for my local VA records) have all sent me letters stating that they do not have them. Argh!

I hope everyone here has had a pleasant holiday season and a good start for the new year!

EDIT: I was going to ask a few questions, and I totally forgot! Here are my most pressing ones:

Should I bring notes with me?

What do they do during the PTSD C&P? I have only answered some survey questions in the past and didn't discuss the actual event. I am very anxious about that!

Edited by pumibel
Forgot to ask my questions!

pumibel,

Can't say what they do for the PTSD C&P exam, however, keep this in mind...answer all their questions as if it was your worse day ever.  Such as how are you doing today, reply, took all I had to get out of bed, hardly get any rest, trouble sleeping.  Maybe even stay up late day before, and go in looking like you stayed up all night.  Any thing that can give them an edge to lowball you, they will take.

Same with aches and pains, you take pain meds? So anything they ask about, you take pain meds for that.  Never go beyond the initial point of pain for Range of Motion tests(ROM).

Take your notes along, to make sure you mention what ever you wrote down.

Answer the questions about the event as best as you can, if you cry, let them see it, if you get all in a rage...let them see it, any emotion you hide is one they will try to use against you.

Try to keep focus on your time in service.  I had a MH exam recently, and that "person" kept trying to lead me away from my AD time.

I'll be praying for you!

Semper Fi.

Andyman

I can tell you exactly what happened at my PTSD exam!  Be prepared to go in there and answer a LOT of questions!  Also, please NOTE that this is not an Medical EXAM but rather a LEGAL EXAM.  My PTSD exam was with the VA so I felt a lot better knowing this.  I took ALL my p/w to ensure if the examiner had a question I had an answer!  I also had a female Examiner which was good for me since I was dealing with MST/Anorexia Nervosa/Eating Disorder.  The examiner was very polite and nice to me and I was too her as well.  I broke down and cried several times and that was good for me because I was able to get out what I needed to get out to her.  Be REAL, be HONEST, be YOURSELF, that is all you can do.  

Again, be prepared for a LOT of personal questions and especially "details" of the trauma!

Best of luck! 

I'm new here but figured I could give my 2 cents. Like others have mentioned, be prepared to give detailed information about the trauma that happened and how it affects you in your day to day life.  Definitely, how your worst day is.  Don't get into too much of the unrelated family or personal details if it doesn't relate to your claim.  Your examiner will ask you many questions related to the trauma and questions about how you view life, to assess if you are depressed/paranoid etc.  

My focus is way off and I had a hard time keeping it together but my examiner was extremely understanding and gave me time to get it together.  I too had a female examiner and she was very nice and tried to calm me down throughout the whole process. I was very emotional as mentally I wasn't ready to relive some of the details again.  I pray your exam goes well for you tomorrow. 

Pumibel, best of luck to you.  I took copies of the packets I had submitted to the RO, supporting my request for secondary ratings.  The NP seemed very happy to be provided with the additional information.

Good luck, pumibel!  You may not see this in time, but you will do fine.  If you do have issues from prior to servcie, stick with military trauma, and forward.  If there are issues predating your service, deal with that in treatment, don't give them something they can use against you and possibly make it even more of an uphill challenge.  I had a contractor for mine, and it went well, I hope yours does as well.

Thank you all for your support! I was already a nervous wreck when I went in there, so there was no need to exaggerate anything, Lol. I had a female doctor who was contracted as well, so she is a civilian. She is very nice, and I did have to answer a lot of questions. The thing that was surprising was that she had a copy of the statement I wrote for my claim, and she said that it was so detailed and concise that she would not have to go over the events again in detail with me. She also had some background information already from my current VA psychiatrist (notes from the HealtheVet system). I was totally honest about everything, and she told me that even if I did have some teen angst prior to military duty, she felt that the triggering events from AD were the source of my current issues (PTSD and Anxiety/social phobia). She also suggested that I talk with my VA psych and get therapy along with the medications. I feel like it went well. I guess I have to see how the paperwork comes out to be sure.

Next week I have to see the dentist, the general practitioner, and I have to get a butt-load of Xrays and an echo-cardiogram. I think today's appointment was the one that scared me the most, though, and I am glad I have that out of the way. My contention is that the physical ailments were the result of extreme anxiety, so this is already looking and feeling like it is going in a positive direction.

I really appreciate all of your well-wishes and support. I can barely move my head right now- that is how bad the tension is right now, lol!