VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tomorrow is my PTSD C& P NERVOUS!

Rate this question

pumibel

Question

Hi everyone! I have not been in here for a while since I have started some classes. I bet I have some catching up to do! Last week I received a phone call from VES to schedule all of my exams ASAP, so tomorrow is my PTSD exam. I have been stressing about it for the past few days, but I know that cannot help. Next week I have to see the dentist on the 25th, a regular general medical doctor on the 27th, and on the 29th I have a bunch of X-rays and an echo-cardiogram scheduled. 

The VA had sent me a letter, dated for the 24th of December 2015, stating that they could not settle my case under the FDC program because they needed to know where all of my aches and pains were located. I was not surprised that they were going to remove my claim from the FDC, but the reasoning was suspect. I had provided all of the pain locations on my claim, and when I go to eBennies and look at my pending claim, I can see all of the places listed. Today I received another VA letter stating that the Dec letter was an error, and that all of my appointments would be scheduled very soon, so my claim would stay in the FDC program after all. yay!

I still do not know where my STRs are! The agencies from which I have requested my records (except for my local VA records) have all sent me letters stating that they do not have them. Argh!

I hope everyone here has had a pleasant holiday season and a good start for the new year!

EDIT: I was going to ask a few questions, and I totally forgot! Here are my most pressing ones:

Should I bring notes with me?

What do they do during the PTSD C&P? I have only answered some survey questions in the past and didn't discuss the actual event. I am very anxious about that!

Edited by pumibel
Forgot to ask my questions!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Did you get the examiner's credentials? (i.e., nurse practitioner, MD, psychologist, psychiatrist) I only ask because sometimes the VA or their contractors might try to have unqualified personnel perform the exams. This was actually in the news again recently. If you get a lowball rating or a denial -and- this was the case, remember this as a method of contesting.

Be sure to look at the DBQ's for the other exams before you go. It will give you an idea of the kind of questions they might ask.
http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_ListByDBQFormName.asp

If you grind your teeth due to your PTSD and have pain in your jaw and/or headaches, be sure to tell the dental C&P doc you think the PTSD caused it. Unless you had oral surgery (wisdom teeth removal, etc..) or trauma to the jaw (car wreck, fall, etc..) they will probably just do a panorex x-ray. In my case, they tried to deny me on the x-ray alone, but I appealed and they did an arthrogram to find the surgery left me with a permanently dislocated jaw.

Good luck!

Thanks Vync- She was a Psy D, so I don't have to worry about that part of it. I certainly do feel like the PTSD is behind my grinding and clenching as well as some of the symptoms related to my Fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain Syndrome, including headaches.

This is definitely the 11th Hour, so not much more you can do, other than show up and be yourself.

At or near the end of your PTSD C & P Exam, ask the Dr what the his verdict is, do you or don't you have PTSD. If your C & P is held at your VMC, the C & P DBQ should appear in your MHV Med records sometime towards the end of next week, or sooner.

Review the C & P DBQ and compare it to the 38 CFR 4 for PTSD or what ever type of MH DX the C & P Dr assigns you with. Then it's all up to the Rater.

Post a redacted copy, will be very informative.

Semper Fi

pumibel,

At least you were granted an exam for your jaw pain.  VARO told me on the phone, that half a dozen entries in my STR isn't enough for her to schedule me for a C&P exam for my painful jaw condition.

Andy

• HadIt.com Elder

Andyman

check out the Veterans Due Process, CFR Regs  or just do a  google search for veterans due process rights.

there's a lot of them...find what you need.

............Buck

Buck,

Thanks.  I was looking through the CFR regs, but wasn't able to find one that covers my issue.  Odds are it's there, but I don't know what to look for, or what wording is used for that particular reg.  I will try the google search later when I have time...probably this weekend whilst it's snowing to beat the band.

Andy