VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sample IMOs

Rate this question

flores97

Question

First off, I hope everyone had a great New Year. Please forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but I have been searching to try to find sample IMO letters, specifically I am filing for GERD, IBS  and urinary incontinence secondary to the meds i am taking for lupus. I have taken NSAIDS, plaquinil, steroids and gabapentin on a daily basis for over six years. I have a gastroenterologist willing to do an IMO, but he has not done any for VA patients before. I apologize if there are some listed here on hadit, and thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

I explained to the Doctor that there are certain statements that need to be included, such as "I reviewed the veterans records", with references from treatments for the conditions, and "at least as likely as not caused by the meds taken by the veteran for her sc lupus". The doctor is a triple board certified gastroenterologist, and he will include his references/specialties as well. I wouldnt have realized it was the meds causing my gastro issues if not for the two different VA docs telling me that was definitely a factor. Can anyone think of anything else that needs to be included, any help would be appreciated. These secondary conditions have become as big a problem as the lupus itself, on the rare occasion that i leave my house to go anywhere, my first priority when arriving is locating the restrooms.

Pwrslm, thank you for the great info, I really appreciate it. The doc actually stated he felt more inclined to go with the"more likely than not" after he had a chance to review my records. He has provided IMOs for SSDI, but not for VA, and wanted to be sure he put it in acceptable "VA speak". I provided a list off Chris Attigs web site about terms that need to be in your IMO, so hopefully it will be good to go, he's actually working on it over the weekend, just emailed me a few minutes ago. Thanks again for your help.

I pulled the dates and descriptions from my SMR and provided it to the MD , he used it all in my IMO.  This showed the rater that the MD had in fact reviewed my history and that closed the door for any dispute about this issue (review of medical history).  I made it simple for them to just copy it from my letter onto the IMO so that all they needed to do was verify the info I provided was in the records (which I also provided).

Great idea, pwrslm, I did something similar. I made copies of any relevant treatment for these conditions for the past two years(since these are secondary conditions I provided limited strs), I highlighted the copies I provided the doctor with the facts I wanted to make sure he put in the IMO, such as dates, diagnoses, etc. I should have wrote out a list, like you did, that would have made it even easier for the doctor. I usually do that for evidence i submit directly to VA, i will seperate the treatment records by dates(with paperclips), put colored sticky notes on the front of each with diagnosis/what condition the treatment was for, then provide a summary list listing dates/doctors/diagnosis for all records provided.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use