VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

"I am from the gov't..."

Rate this question

Holllie Greene

Question

Hi All,

First and foremost I offer my apologies for typing in caps in previous posts.

"I am from the government and I am here to help you"---a now-deceased friend told me this little nugget of a line and at the time I thought it was hilarious.  Obviously, this line makes a whole lot of sense to me now.

About 45 minutes ago my local VA clinic called to schedule PT, hmmmmmm, interesting.  Perhaps the VNA reported to my VA doc, who knows.

All things aside, I believe PT is a good idea as long as a person is able.  I am scheduled for PT soon which is a good thing.

Maybe I should stop my suspicions and accept their help.  Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.  HG

I can understand why you would be suspicious. If you go and feel better, are they going to challenge your rating? If not, are you just not trying? I think you should go and keep an open mind. If done at a VA facility, the results will be in your record. However, this doesn't mean a flag will go up at the VARO. They're swamped enough with the claims others send in without having to audit existing ratings. Even if they did, you still have years of an appeal to look forward to (dragging the issue out by their own processes). Don't worry - go and try to feel a little better. It could be worth it.

Hi justrluk,

Thank you for your thoughts.  I do not see why they would challenge my rating (MS, Asthma, back problem from a fall due to MS vertigo).  My husband plans to resign from his job soon so he can take care of me and we cannot afford to have my VA comp messed with.

I think I will cough up $50.00 per month to join the local Rehab gym.

Thank you for your input.

HG

The late Ronald Regan said the 9 most terrifying words in the English Language are "I'm from the government and am here to help ."

The VA hires and pays for a "representative" (VSO) to help us.  The VA is very tight lipped about this, but its a virtual certainty that VSO's are paid according to how many POA's they have by the VA.  We know for absolute sure that VSO's get "free rent" FROM Va in regional offices and VAMC's.  

I dont know about you, but when someone gives me "free rent" I earned it.  The military gave me "free rent", but I would have been much better off to get a civilian job and pay the rent myself.  

Its almost never a good idea to use your opponents attorney...that's an instant conflict of interest.   The VSO's have come out "against" allowing Veterans to use attorney's.  They posit that Vets dont need attorneys, they have VSO's for "free".

I dont know about you, but when people call me and offer me stuff for "free", there are always good reasons for me to be skeptical, and VA's "free representatives" are no exception.  

My "free" VSO sat on my claim for 2 months before he sent it in.  Since I am at 100%, if you do the math, that free VSO cost me AT LEAST $6000 in Veterans compensation that I will never recover.  He also advised me, back in 2004, "not to file  a NOD" disputing a 0 percent rating for hearing loss.  I had been awarded a "complete grant of benefit sought" at the BVA, and the RO decided "complete" meant 0 percent.  The VSO said that was correct.   After all, he reasoned, you got your foot in the door, and can always ask for an increase later.  I sent VA a letter that was hard to tell it was a NOD, because of the VSO's advice.  "Gee the VA could reduce you if you file for an increase".  (How can they reduce 0 percent?  I remember thinking just that).  

When I finally get all my benefits, I will be able to add up all the money my "free" VSO cost.  

Edited by broncovet

1 hour ago, justrluk said:

I can understand why you would be suspicious. If you go and feel better, are they going to challenge your rating? If not, are you just not trying? I think you should go and keep an open mind. If done at a VA facility, the results will be in your record. However, this doesn't mean a flag will go up at the VARO. They're swamped enough with the claims others send in without having to audit existing ratings. Even if they did, you still have years of an appeal to look forward to (dragging the issue out by their own processes). Don't worry - go and try to feel a little better. It could be worth it.

IMO, NEVER have a "good" day at the PT.  Just have an "OK" day regardless, AKA always leave room for improvement. ALWAYS...

And remember, the NSA and the VA never look at your documents, conversations, medical appointments, and NEVER PT... LOL!

Hi Broncovet,

I agree with the late Ronald Regan...those words are terrifying.  Plus, there is nothing free, not even a lunch.

Yes, I earned my "free rent" in the Army, I did not ask to have the two story fall, asthma , or to acquire MS.  And don't get me on a rant about the VSO's (he is back from training now but when I went to the courthouse yesterday I was told he can see me on Wednesday, such Brava Sierra.  The VSO's cause me to have suspicion about them.

Thank you for your response!

HG

Hi there Horizontal Mike,

I totally see your point.  Well of course those alphabet agencies would never ever look at documents, conversations, med appts, and PT. Yeah right and I have a bridge to sell you.  LOL!!!!! Total BRAVO SIERRA.  Thank you for your thoughts.

Thank you for joining in this conversation. :) 

HG