VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC - S

Rate this topic

I just want to make sure I'm correct in my interpretation of the SMC - S requirements.  It seems as though I think I understand VA Speak and often find out there are considerations to which I am unaware.

Looking at SMC S it appears that the requirement (not including housebound) is a 100% rating and additional ratings that equate to 60%.  Someplace I read that the additional ratings must be unrelated to the 100% rating.  So if this is correct, I assume rated secondary conditions can not be considered in meeting the 60% criteria?

Not exactly. Here's an example. I'm rated 100% for Hepatitis C. I have additional (supposedly) secondary conditions of porphyria 100%, anemia 60%, cryoglobulinemia 40% and skin scarring 30%. Since the porphyria is not the same disease process as the hepatitis, it is considered dissimilar. Therefore I qualify for 100% plus an additional 60%. If you had a back injury at 60% rated as TDIU and secondaries of radiculopathy to the legs, and had a secondary rating for the radiculopathy at 60%, you would not qualify. You would if you had 40% for DM2 and 20% for hearing loss though.

The baseline rating qualifier of 100% can be schedular or TDIU. The extra 60% must be made up of ratings with no relationship to the back injury- and, need I add-they must also be service connected.

Thank you asknod