VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice needed

Rate this question

manni

Question

I went to C&P exam for my IU, before submitting my claim for IU I was rated 50% PTSD, 50% vision, 30% Migraine and 10%TBI. I had my first C&P for Migraine which lasted 15-20 minutes, and then I had C&P exam for PTSD which took about one hour, 15 minutes she was on her phone talking to one of her patients and then she spend about 20 minutes trying to find my military records on her computer. Then she asked me 3 or 4 times about driving and I told her I don't drive anymore. Of course she didn't mention that on her report. Her other question was when I started service and I gave her my DD214. I also gave her a letter from VOC rehab which says I don't qualify for VOC Rehab because my health problems are too severe and again she didn't mention that. I gave her a DBQ from my neurologist which says I can't work but again she didn't mention anything about it, she just mentioned the medication that I'm taking and then wrote TBI has no effect on my social and occuptional  life.
For PTSD she mentioned the following:

OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL IMPAIRMENT DUE TO MILD OR TRANSIENT SYMPTOMS WHICH DECREASE WORK EFFICIENCY AND ABILITY TO PERFORMOCCUPATIONAL TASKS ONLY DURING PERIODS OF SIGNIFICANT STRESS, OR SYMPTOMS CONTROLLED BY MEDICATION

Of course she didn't mention what every Psychiatrist and Psychogists that I visited the last 3 years wrote about my PTSD (severe PTSD).
I still have vision C&P exam but I don't think this will go well too.
Anyway, from what I red I think my PTSD rating will go down from 50% to 10%, I know some will say C&P is just a part of the claim and it doesn't have total effect on rating, that is WRONG C&P decides what rating you will get and the rater depends totally on what is mentioned in the C&P exam.
My question is this, if I get a PTSD DBQ from outside the VA hospital (since no Psychiatrist in the VA will fill one) will that have any effect on my claim or it is too late now?
Will DBQ filled out by a Psychologist have the same as one filled by Psychiatrist?
Is there anything I can do to help my claim?
Any advice will be highly appreciated

I would immediately challenge the credentials of that moron-oops, professional. Submit a detailed statement in support of claim, include copy of your VOC rehab letter, and yes if you can get a dbq completed by a psychiatrist, preferably a VA MH Dr, do it ASAP. Be detailed in your statement, make a copy of the incompetent c&p and highlight what she got wrong, and state why it is wrong. Broncovet has far more knowledge in challenging c&PS, hopefully he will chime in as well. I would try to get another Dr to fill out a DBQ immediately, this week if possible. If the VA Drs won't do it, since you have already been diagnosed, absolutely a Psychologist should be taken seriously. Do you know if the examiner was an NP? Nurse Practitioner?

Thanks flores97 for your reply,

This was a Psychiatrist, the main problem here is 90% of what she wrote was not said by me, andn I hate it when people put words in my mouth. I was thinking about trying to get a DBQ from outside the VA since no VA Psychiatrist or Psychologist will do this here. At the same time I'm thinking about contacting the patient advocate too.

Any other advice will be highly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Manni,  so she was a licensed psychiatrist? Ok, RIGHT AWAY, get an outside doc to fill out your dbq, a professor would be even better as they outrank docs i do believe. (PHD). But if you know a doc already that is willing to complete one for you, get it done. Also submit a statement in support of claim with a copy of the exam and tell them everything that happened at the exam. Be as detailed as possible. There could be some other things as well and im sure some more experienced members will chime in. Good Luck, Manni, keep us posted

If the doc needs some time to complete the dbq, go ahead and write up your statement and HIGHLIGHT you are submitting an IMO/DBQ from Drxxx, and submit your statement asap.

Update....
So I was able to get a DBQ from a psychologist (Phd) outside the VA,. I've been in therapy with her for sometime now. Of course she didn't agree with the C&P psychiatrist (PTSD). C&P doctor advised 10% and this psychologist checked (TOTAL OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL IMPAIRMENT). She also mentioned that she is basing her decision on my health history, current condition and after checking my military records, VA treatment records and my DD214 "she put this in remark section"
I didn't send this new DBQ to the VA yet. I don't know how to proceed from here, should I send it now or wait for my claim to close and get the result then file NOD with this DBQ as a prove of my bad PTSD.
Any help will be highly appreciated...

Manni

For some reason the VA does not want to give IU...I also had a doc the same way...just beat me up...In Tampa..By all means wait for the decision letter to do anything.....Then others will answer your questions...Just start preparing your statement. I would have my dbq, voc rehab letter ready.....I think you'll be fine....Allan