VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TBI --- My Recent Journey

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Vets:

Overall, I've had a bit of a frustrating journey as I've tried to ensure that the residual effects from an in service Tank Main Gun  explosion early in my Army Tanker Career would at least be recorded and the effects on my body and mind be noted officially-in case I deteriorate more as I age. Back then they just  did not have the TBI protocols that we have now over the last 2 wars. I've just turned 55 and have headaches, memory and cognitive issues that I've had every sense the explosion in the mid 1980's. Over the years, I've set up cleaver systems with notes and recording mechanisms so I can still function and cope with my daily activities. My son once said, "Dad, you have "notes" to tell you where your notes are at"? Over the years my memory has had very subtle changes.  I've gotten to the point were I put everything in the car I need for work during the weekend, so I don't forget it Monday morning and forget these things like my ID Badge. I put notes next the coffee pot each evening before I go to bed, so I can check off what needs to be done. Anyway, I waited to file for TBI after my primary disability claim because I am terribly claustrophobic and that malady actually began right after the explosion.  Actually, my rater commented about it on my A8 letter. However, the Anxiety of getting into and MRI and being completely covered in the "tube" is overwhelming for me. I did find an open MRI for my back and spine (only one like it in WA State) but failed the first time due to hyperventilating  and the second time was so heavily sedated that I almost passed out? Over the years, I've cancelled numerous MRI's for various military related injuries  because I could not get into the machine. I really doubt I could do it again? One theory is that the part of my brain that triggers those types of responses, may have been damaged during the explosion?  I'm being treated now by the VA for the claustrophobia. Frankly, there's more to the story as I saw the aftermath of a soldier that was crushed by a tank and I can't get the image and experience out of my mind, even after all of these years.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I was finally first sent into see a Psychiatrist  for an interview and testing. After about an hour, he said that he could not make a decision by himself and that I needed more extensive testing by others. So, a week later, I took a CP Exam/Physical for my headaches, took a another hearing test (third one this year) and saw a psychologist to discuss my personnel relationships.  The headache doc said that my records have covered the headache for years and they were mentioned on my retirement physical so he said they should have had enough evidence already? The psychologist said that my memory and cognitive issues are very pronounced as well. Anyway, lately, I've been reading the Hadit.Com TBI Forum to see how other Vets  have been treated over the years with TBI and a lot of it seems a 50/50 proposition for the outcomes and each case is just so different that it's hard to predict any particular  outcome? Like I told the Psychiatrist during my first  interview, I knew that there were a lot of risks joining the Army and especially being on and around dangerous  combat equipment  (and can live with that) that is designed to kill and injure both friend and foe alike. However, if I deteriorate, I'd like for it to be recognized so I can be treated. No one in my family has ever had any of these issues before , and it is most likely to be service related then not. But that decision will be made by other folks that are more familiar with the process whom are in authority.

Either way, I'll report back and let you all know the final outcome.... 

Waccamawwild:

My back, spine, and neck are all service related so that's fine. Its the TBI Claim, shoulders and Headaches claims that I delayed for many years and those exams were an exhausting process. It just went to pending decision, so we'll see how it goes in the end? In retrospect, I would have filed the TBI Claim first due to the process and want it takes to get all of the evidence that is required. All, I know is that it's very tough to talk to a psychiatrist and phycologist for the first time. So, I'm anxious to see how it all turns out and if it was worth confiding in them in the end? I've had a lot of memory issues since the explosion early in my career and just want it on the record so I can be treated as I need treatment...

Take Care

Rootbeer22