VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received email from congressman's office with help for NOD!

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

So yesterday I got an email from my local congressman's office.  He is the liaison for the military and veteran's affairs here locally.

XXXXX,

I received a copy of the email, concerning your C-file at the VA, that you sent to our Washington, D.C. office. I have attached a Privacy Release Form and a Casework Request Form. Please complete, sign and return them to me at the address below. Also include copies of VA correspondence related to the claim/appeal. Please call me at the number below so we can discuss the issue and casework.

I called him this morning and we talked about my upcoming DRO hearing.  I sent him an email as requested with the documents he needed from me.  He is trying to expedite my C-file so I can get the missing files for my hearing.  I hope this works because I have tried since 2014 to get them on my own to no avail.  It's crucial I get the medical records I am missing.  He asked if I had representation and I told him yes, a DAV rep and he said that was good to know b/c I should have someone there with me.  I asked him about the process and he told me that unlike what most think, a DRO hearing isn't really starting from scratch but rather they are looking at the same evidence presented the first time around.  If I have additional evidence to bring it.  I told him I had a letter from my VA podiatrist backing me up and I found two additional SMR's from my hard copy files.  He said bring them.  I opted for the informal hearing so I hope it's favorable.  I just have to prove to this hearing officer and connect the dots.  

I had read that a DRO review hearing was supposed to be "de novo" latin for starting from scratch http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/disability/veterans-disability/dealing-a-dro-veterans-disability

So I hope this works! 

Sounds like you have the right idea.  Most Vets advocates do not recommend contacting a congress critter, but if it works for you then far be it from me to suggest otherwise.  

Most congress critters send a note to VA who then takes your file out of the working pile and into the gathering dust pile.  I hope that does not happen to you.  

VA and congress dont like each other.  Congress tries to get information from VA and VA does not want to cooperate, mostly.  

VA just wants congress to give them more money, and not to have to put up with congress, just money.  

I would like a boss like that, too.  

"Just send me more money, boss, I really dont have time to do any actual work, but if you send more money, I will hire someone else just to deal with you.".  

BroncoVet;

This is for my upcoming DRO hearing that is scheduled for 2/26/16.  Nothing is going to change that.  I just need to get ahold of my C-file and the missing records.  Since I've had no luck through the other appropriate routes, I went through this route, which was recommended to me on this site the other day in one of my threads.

He indicated he had a contact at the VA so we will see.  Not getting my hopes up at this late in the game but if I do get those missing records it will be awesome.  

Either way I am having my hearing on the 26th...

My brothet when i went to my DRO Hearing i brought all they had and then as much paperwork i could come up with. Back up your case and bury them with proof. I dont want to discourage you but my rep said nothing at all ...yes really so dont depend on anyone. Remember that the burden of proof is on you. Good luck and never give up

Just now, mike6113 said:

My brothet when i went to my DRO Hearing i brought all they had and then as much paperwork i could come up with. Back up your case and bury them with proof. I dont want to discourage you but my rep said nothing at all ...yes really so dont depend on anyone. Remember that the burden of proof is on you. Good luck and never give up

How was your DRO hearing outcome?  Did you go informal or formal?

I agree about the DAV rep being there.  He can be there and talk to me but I am going to make sure my voice is heard!

Navy4life, that's great news!! It worked for me when I kept requesting my cfile and received no response. It sounds like you have an excellent congressional aide to work with, i am sure he will be able to get some movement on your cfile for you. IF, somehow you still dont receive the needed records before your DRO hearing, print out the emails between you and the congress office to show you are doing everything you possibly can. I think you will receive the tecords on time, though, Good Luck, Navy!!