VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TBI -- Years Later- An Awkward Process

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Folks:

I'm currently in the wait mode now for the outcome of my TBI and Headaches Exams. Frankly, without my wife pushing for years to get treated for my headaches, memory loss and claustrophobia issues, I would not have made the claim in the first place because of the "hassle" on Hadit.com that I've read about. I also did not want to talk to anyone about my issues because I did not want people to think less of me and my abilities? At first I tried to talk to someone at the VA to make an appointment at my local VA Hospital and get assessed for TBI and related issues. But, I pretty much got the run around at the start. Then a Vet friend said based upon the evidence in my service records that I should just to make a claim, then at least I would be send for a CP exam at some point and get movement?  The exams were very intrusive which is something that I totally understand, but I'm not sure that I would do it over again given a choice? I realized now that I did not want to re-live the experiences that I had, so I suppressed them for many many years. Then my claustrophobia got so bad over the last few years  that I knew I need help and I relented to see a doctor.  At least 7 times over the years, I started to get into and MRi machine and cancelled at the last moment due to the effects of the claustrohphobia.The headache CP exam was really odd because the doctor when thru the DBQ questions but made me raise my arms and touch my point fingers to my nose which hurt. In an earlier CP exam for my shoulders I complained about the examiner making me push my shoulders upon beyond the point of pain and they did it once again.  I know that if one complains, it may hurt the outcome of a claim, even if the vet is correct to do so.  Sure, with enough pain meds you can endure a lot of extra pain and push way past the point of pain on any ROM measurement. Then as we were finished walking at the door, the Doctor said, something about rating me around 10% for my "cluster headaches" and concussion syndrome"  and I've never had an examiner do that before which was very odd? I said, I just wanted to ensure that the records to be straight in my case, especially if I needed more treatment in the future. Consequently,  I have an apt later today to discuss my claustrophobia.

Anyway, my lesson learned is despite the outcome of the TBI assessment and headaches, etc. Frankly, I should have not let my pride get in the way and should have addressed it earlier during my career. That said, we were always taught in the Army to be mentally and physically  to be tough and not show or share your pain with others. I do know that these things can become an issue for future jobs and opportunities in the service so I tried to avoid talking about these issues as best I could. Overall, I think I'll hear something in the next couple of months but I'm not very optimistic about the outcome from what I saw in the process...

Rootbeer22

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Slick:

Thanks, I'm hit and miss on the "OPEN MRI"..  with massive sedative meds, I was able to use it  a couple of times but almost passed out during the procedure. But even then it was a horrible experience with my heart racing and anxiety at the max level...I was watching TV the other day and saw someone crunched in the back of a car ;like a Porche and it affected me.... ....