VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary to Service Connected Issue

Rate this question

ShuMan

Question

Is it true that for secondary issues you DO NOT need your in service medical records reviewed in order to obtain a Nexus letter?

And has anyone had any success in claiming secondary issues?

For example I am looking at putting in a claim for neck and hip pain secondary to my service connected lower back pain. I'm being treated for both neck and hip pain by my VA doctor. By treated I mean given Pain killers and muscle relaxers..lol

Shuman, keep in mind I am by no means an expert, but NO, you should not need your in service strs to prove a secondary condition that is caused/aggravated by a sc condition. You will need your VA or private medical treatment records of course, showing treatment and progression of the secondary conditions. Has your VA provider stated any causes for the hip/neck pain in your records? If not, you might need to obtain an IMO to submit along with your records. If the doc has stated that your back is causing these conditions, then VA might grant the secondaries but there is the risk of getting sent to c&p exams and having the examiner opine against you. If you include the IMO, it SHOULD lessen the risk of you being sent to a c&p. Have you tried asking your doc if he/she would be willing to complete a DBQ(Disability benefits quesionnaire), for the neck and hip issues? You can google the DBQ forms, find the ones for your specific disabilities, and print them out. I had no problem getting my VA PCP to complete mine, but alot of veterans do have trouble getting their VA docs to complete them.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Flores is correct!

Great advice!

Flores,

Very detailed answer and I greatly appreciate the advice.

I'm going to have to go IME/IMO as of now. I was able to find a local doc that was once a C&P examiner to complete an exam on me on the 31st. I'm hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone here and have him complete the DBQs for my appeal and well as secondary conditions (and nexus letters were needed). So now I'm reading thru the DBQs and the regulations to see what percentage I could possibly qualify for.

Also I hired Valor to provide some needed nexus letters and to do a records review (Based off the great review you gave them). There's over 1000 pages in my C-File and I knew I couldn't look that over all myself. They've been really helpful in pointing me in the right direction and providing realistic advice. Just what they've pointed out so far has been pretty helpful and worth every penny.  

I'm really surprised that your VA PCP was open to completing a DBQ on you. I was always told that they like to shy away from that stuff. I'll have to message my PCP to see if they are open to it.

Again thank you for the advice!

Shulman, your welcome, I hope that helps! Its great that your getting an IMO and an IME as well, that is exactly what i am doing, using of course Valor for the IMO and Dr Ellis in OK for the IME. I am crossing my fingers about the trip to OK, as I have a really difficult time traveling, but I plan on posting both the IMO and the IME when I receive them. I'm glad Valor is working out for you, its rare to be able to find a practitioner willing to take monthly payments for a medical opinion, that is for sure. Best of luck on your claims, keep us updated!!

I think secondary is where its at. 

Depending on the secondary claim, you will need a C&P if it involves calcutalting a percentage, i.e., range of motion, etc.

As you get older, more issues can be secondary to original service connected issues.  Especially if you are rated for arthritis. I dont think many vets think of this. Its just going to get worse with age.

Good luck,

Hamslice

16 hours ago, flores97 said:

Shulman, your welcome, I hope that helps! Its great that your getting an IMO and an IME as well, that is exactly what i am doing, using of course Valor for the IMO and Dr Ellis in OK for the IME. I am crossing my fingers about the trip to OK, as I have a really difficult time traveling, but I plan on posting both the IMO and the IME when I receive them. I'm glad Valor is working out for you, its rare to be able to find a practitioner willing to take monthly payments for a medical opinion, that is for sure. Best of luck on your claims, keep us updated!!

Best of luck to you on your travels Flores!

How have you been preparing for your IME?

The monthly payment plan is a huge plus and makes it more affordable for everyone.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use