VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help with compensation estimates & back pay

Rate this question

usocazy

Question

Greetings - first post on this site.

I'm rated at 90% service-connected disability, have 2 children enrolled full time as college students & my wife.  I'm getting $1888/month for disability and filed a claim as eBenefits shows that only my daughter & wife were considered for "compensation", my son was not.

I submitted paperwork to show that he still lives at home and is a full time college student but the claim came back that they were already paying for him as a dependent and my entitlement is $1888. So confusing. My math shows that 90% pays $1,995.48 for Veteran with Spouse and Child plus I figured I should also get another $182 for my second child that is enrolled in school so my adjusted total should be $1,995.48 + $182 = $2177.48  What am I figuring incorrectly? I used the following website: http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/resources_comp01.asp#BM05

Additionally, I had my knee replaced back in November 2014 and didn't realize that I was entitled to 100% temp disability for 12 months. I submitted a claim for 100% temp ($3415.74/month) and that was awarded effective 19 November 2014 to 1 January 2016 however they withheld $1527.26/month so it netted out to $1888.48. I qualify for CRDP so I requested an audit error worksheet be completed by the VA so I could get 12 months of back pay - that is still ongoing.  So my math indicates I should get $1527.26 x 12 months = $18,327.12 Does that sound about right?

Thanks for your input!

I may be wrong so double check my math, but in 2016 for a vet that is married with two children in an "accepted and approved" college I see the math to play out as follows

90% Vet, Spouse and first child = $1,995, each additional college age child = $234  So a total of $2,229 a month.  You can see the link for the compensation tables at http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/resources_comp01.asp

If you received a year at a temp 100%, the applicable amount would be the difference between 100% (same scenario as above) and then subtract the applicable 90% amount so.... If my math is correct 100% = $3,447 - 90% = $2,229 or roughly $1218 extra per month.  Twelve months would be $14,616 in 2016 dollars.

Thanks green - either way there appears to be some funny business going on as far as compensation is concerned. I cannot for the life of me figure out how the VA is coming up with $1888/month for my monthly compensation amount.

I can't seem to get a straight answer on the temp 100% either from the VA even though I'm qualified for Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP). Guess I'll have to see how my request for an error audit worksheet goes on that one. 

How long since you submitted the last paperwork to the VA?  Based off my own recent experience, it took several months for back pay (also CRDP) to sort itself out for me.  I would recommend waiting to see what you get and due the math 'backwards' and see if you can make sense of it then.  As to the monthly, I am confused for you as well.

The last thing I submitted was a request for an audit error worksheet as of 02/09/16. I got my "final" VA determination of temp 100% and permanent 30% for my total knee replacement in early January.  Every time I call the VA they stated that an audit error worksheet would automatically be done to account for CRDP but every time I asked for a status there was nothing in the system that indicated a worksheet was being processed. So on 02/19/16 the VA rep I spoke to submitted an inquiry on my behalf and recommended that I also request an audit error worksheet be completed. I was told they have 10 business days to respond so I guess the waiting game begins at this point.

Quick question - if you qualify once for CRDP do you have to always go back and request CRDP when a claim is finalized or will VA automatically account for CRDP after the first award?

My RO is absolutely anal when it comes to allowing "college age" benefits, actually making it more difficult than compensation, if that is possible.  

First, you will have had to put in for all your dependents within a year of your decision.  Over a year, and its lights out.  Next, you will have had to had his/her birth certificate, as well as grades, including accounting for each month in college.  The VA does not want to pay college age benefits, so expect them to lose your sons birth certificate about 4 times, like they did mine.  I appealed it to the board, and then the CAVC.  The CAVC gave me a JMR, if I could provide proof I mailed it earlier.  Well, I had already sent my post office receipt, and, sure enough, they lost that also.  

I finally focused on getting more benefits and gave up on college age.