VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diagnosed with Hyperparathyroidism, Exposure?

Rate this question

gjrock

Question

My VA doctor diagnosed me recently.  Now that I look into it I have had symptoms for 3-4 years.  I was in the gulf war in 91 on board a ship at the tail end of the war.  I had to work out on deck when the sky was brown at noon from all the oil fires.   My ship was one of two that pulled into Kuwait for a limited port visit with two tours we could go on.  I went on the one with the destroyed tanks and equipment. The Iraqi tanks and armor all had holes in them from DU rounds melting through the metal.  We were all over those tanks and equip because it was interesting.  I wish I had not been there.  The VA is doing a bunch of tests of me and going to send me to a endocrinologist after I get my bone density scan and 24 hr urine done for tomorrow.   I feel I should make a claim but don't know if I should go through the DAV or hire a attorney?   Do people hire people to fight for them or should I just do it on my own.  I am currently being diagnosed to find the sources of my back pain for over a year.  It has been rated 40% for what they thought was wrong.   So the I could have two claims and both are very serious.  Need help to go the right direction.  Thank you for your service!!!!

Glenn

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You don't need a DAV or anybody to file a VA Claim

you can file it as a FDC or file a 21-526&

Use VA form 21-0781     statement in support of claim to state your story & stressor's 1. & 2.and also medical records as evidence to attest to the fact you were injured in the military or caught a certain VA related disease ...list everything you can on the statement in support of claim as evidence old str's any treatments you had with or without VA Hospital's any Dr's Treatment ect,,ect,,, spouse statement even buddy state meets  if you have a cib  that makes it''somewhat easier/at least a SERVICE CONNECTION. 

use extra sheets of paper if you need to With the  21-0781...and you can do all of this online  via Myhealthvet & Benefits in PDF forms  or you can hand write it and mail it to your designated ''Claims In take Center''  with certified return receipt.

Keep all copies of everything you correspond with the VA 

It helps to use a uniformed organized  statement in support of claim  so its  eazy for them to read about your claim

Top sheet with a title and list in order the best you can

No. of pages

evidence and letters from spouse & you and Dr's

Notes from Myhealthvet.

In a organized  form.

always put your claim number on each page of anything you send the VA

The VA will send you anything they need from you in about 2 weeks usually after they get your claim.

Ebenefit's makes this a lot better to file and cheaper ...than spending 5 to 7 bucks on postage every time you send something,   because its best to always get a certified return receipt when you send them anything  and keep the receipt is a safe place for future reference if needed.

keep all copies in a safe place  never throw anything away VA Related&

Always Be Honest & Remember Medical evidence wins claims.

Best of Luck

.................Buck