VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Neurological exam

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Does anyone have any recent experience with neurological exams, the 8 hour variety?  My VA MH therapist is referring me to neuro to get scheduled.  He's quite interested in finding out what, if any, may be the cause of the holes in my memory.  Hmmm, wonder if maybe they can tell me why I experience deja vue (all over again) so often.

Apparently I was confused, when he told me previously that he wanted to go through a depression DBQ during our next session, which was Feb 29th. 

Not recent Andyman but I don't think the neuro tests have changed much since they gave them to my husband.

It took so long the VAMC gave him a lunch chit. I think they took 2 days.

Basically it was the MMPI ( Combat related if applicable),

The Hand Test, Weschler Test, Trails Mosing  and  'put the plastic objects into the holes they fit into' test and one or two more I mentioned here long ago.

Nothing to worry about at all.

When the shrink did the write up he clearly gave a complete picture of what my husband was dealing with.

He also could separate the brain affects of a stroke my husband had ,from his PTSD.

100% P & T PTSD from 30% (a posthumous award 1997)

100% P & T from a Section 1151 stroke  (also a posthumous award 2012)

Even without any stroke situation, these tests can often help a claim, with a good write up .

Of course they had an MRI as well due to the stroke but that was not part of this testing.

Edited by Berta

Andyman, I went through neurological testing in 2013, I believe mine took around seven hours. Like Ms Berta said, it is nothing to worry about, a LOT of different tests, the Weschler test for certain, copying patterns down, they will read you stories and you have to repeat as much as you can, number/letter patterns, animal naming, etc. Bring some tylenol or ibu profen because afterwards, i had the worst headache ive ever had in my life, i literally threw up. However, the examiner was thorough, kind, and did diagnose me with memory loss, in fact, I had three mental c&ps and was diagnosed with memory loss at each, but the one i mention above is the only one that lasted so long. 

Berta and flores97,

Okay, my therapist said expect it to take 8 hours.  I wonder how they decide the who, the what, then when, why, where, how and why for art thou?  And whether or not the light in the window is from the East, or a crack in the sky? 

Copying patterns and repeating stories...most likely gonna bomb them.  Animal naming...maybe okay.

Will they ask a bunch of questions like a DBQ but 10X more?

Only thing that bothers me, is what if they find something that gets me thrown out, or locked away?  Not like jail, but like institutionalized. 

Andy, there would be no cause for them to throw you out or lock you up, I am sure......

BTW, The PTSD inhouse program is not a lockdown. They sort of  lock the 'world ' out....that is you are away from the daily stress of your usual environment....and are with other vets who have PTSD too

It was the best PTSD help my husband got from VA, oddly enough from a civilian MSW who ran the program, and from the other vets (all Vietnam) and one wannabee, in the same team they took back to the Nam......sort of...

I have never heard of a single vet who was in this 21 day program, who didn't get help from it and they found their initial apprehension was quickly dissipated  when they got to the VAMC.

A doc shrink has to suggest it and then it is voluntary if you go. It really has little to do with the neuro tests as far as I know...accept in my husband's case the neuro test doctor's write up  revealed his PTSD was "catastrophic."

I could have told them that.

Berta,

I was joking, of course, mostly...

It's in reference to an irrational fear I had mentioned some time back, about being locking in a room, strapped to a bed, in some long forgotten no longer used hospital wing.  Even typing this is giving me the heebee geebees!

My VA shrink offered it, and I am willing to go, especially if it will help me with my MH claim.  We only spoke of the neuro exam, so far.  Will have to see what  comes of that to see what comes next. 

Andyman, I agree, don't stress, it was actually interesting to do, it definitely kept me occupied. It did make me realize I doubt I could handle taking even online courses, after seven hours of that, with a short break, my head felt like it was going to explode, and my mother literally had to pull my car over while she was driving so I could puke. I was still working at the time, and ended up calling out the next day. Not certain if I just overloaded my meager brain cells or what, but definitely bring Tylenol with you.