VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about Caregiver Program

Rate this topic

I wanted to inquire about the process for my wife becoming a caregiver.  She had her phone interview today that lasted about an hour, and I guess we will be waiting for a response via mail on the determination if we qualified or not.  I was wanted to know is this a normal thing for the guys that have already been down this road.  To my understanding I thought she would be told today if she was accepted or not, but I guess it doesn't work the way I thought.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Semper Fi

A big factor in whether she gets SMC T is whether you can hold down even temporary work. If you can, there will be no SMC T. VA has rationalized this such that if you are capable of going out and dealing with society- even if it's volunteering for 3 hours a day as a library assistant- then you are not in need of this SMC. What few understand is that there is another component of this (SMC t) that is manifested as Kumbaya meetings  with other Vets to "deal with this".  VA calls it the "Group Hugs" program.

Thanks for the reply asknod, Ive been unable to work since 2014 and I don't see myself going back anytime soon.  I just didn't understand why at the end of an hour long interview why they didn't state if I was approved or not. I guess its another hurry and wait game. 

Asknod do you have a caregiver assigned to you, if yes what happened after the first phone interview? Thanks in advance for your help

The program has limited objectives. It is a transitional one and not for the long term like R1 or R2. The idea is to slowly ease the Vet back into society in gradual phases. At some time in the future, if the Vet finds himself able to partake in an occupation or volunteer for work in the community, the VA will promptly cease the caregiver stipend. The rationale being that if you can work or function among others again, there is no need for your spouse to stay home and babysit you or protect you from yourself. Sadly, too many Vets become dependent on this new financial windfall and encounter grief when it is terminated-which it will be someday.

No, I do not have a caregiver,sir. I fought in the Vietnam Boundary dispute in 70-72. SMC T is only available to those who served after 9/11/2001 which is a dichotomy. VA feels some Veterans who served more recently are "more equal" than other Vets from prior skirmishes. Congress wrote the law at the urging of the Wounded Warriors Project in 2010.  

When VA agrees to investigate you for an entitlement, they do so carefully and meticulously. They do not listen and promptly push print. They hesitate to grant because once they do, it becomes a legal "finding" and cannot easily be undone. VA will check out your earnings (if any) via a Social Security query. If they find none and the spouse passes the rest of the metrics, you'll be approved for a minimum of 18-24 months before a new assessment is scheduled. The reason I'm familiar with this is that I took a class on it last year as part of my CLE (Continuing Legal Education) requirements.

Cupcake says the only thing I need a caregiver for is someone to mind my mouth. It gets me in trouble when talking about large Veterans charities. Best of luck to you on receipt of the T.

Thanks again for the response asknod, I really appreciate sharing your knowledge.  I find it hard to believe only post 9/11 service members are able to apply for this benefit, I would've like to be a fly on the wall when they passed this legislation.  As stated earlier Im now in the hurry and wait mode..

UPDATE.... a little bit over 1 week after my wife had an hour long phone interview I got a call from the caregiver coordinator.  Today the coordinator called to let me know that I would have to attend an appointment with the polytrauma memory unit and get evaluated for alcohol, I found this odd, but I will go to the appointments and update once complete.