VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aid &Attentance for Ill Spouse of Vet on Medicaid

Rate this question

Jeniferjmeyer

Question

My father, Veteran, and mother have had A & A of $2120/ month for their joint assisted living. Dad has Alzheimer's and will be moving over to skilled nursing on Saturday. He is on hospice with Alzheimer's. We have to apply in April for Medicaid. Mom has essential tremor and stints in legs. She can't live on her own and will remain in assisted living.  They reside in Indiana. I've been told by VA over a phone that mom will not receive ANY money. Then on another forum an assisting veteran tells me to send in a form 21-4138 and mom will receive the entire benefit of $2120. No directions on this form. Or will dad only get $90 and no income for mom? She only has $600 Soc. Security.  Oh, please help.  I am their fiduciary and daughter.  

You can get these forms, plus the address where to mail them usually at your local VAMC through a "Veterans Service Officer".  A lot of Veterans are not happy with the service they got from their VSO, and elect to do the claim themselves, especially with help from hadit where many of us have lots of experience, sometimes more than VSO's.  

In all cases, you want to send information to VA "Certified mail Return Receipt Requested" because VA has a habit of losing key pieces of evidence such as your completed application.  

Do you have a POA to handle your father/mother's affairs?  If so, you should be able to handle it all.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think they know why a person gets Alzheimer's,?

They (Medical Dr's) have been researching this for years, its still up in Air so to speak   they can diagnose it but unfortunately  they have not found a cure.

There's been some study's done with stimulation with music  by putting headphones on the Alz Patient and watch their reaction...simply play the type of music they once loved before the Alz Begin  

I hope and pray they do find a cure for this, this is awful to see a person this way, its like their mind Reverts back to when they were babies & in a grown person this horrific to see  especially a loved one.

This lady could check with the Alzheimer's Association  to see if they could help?

.........Buck

Thanks Buck and Broncovet. The assisted living facility has a contact that will assist me with proper forms and info to send and location to mail!  Just found out! I have used a free service similar to this in the past. He is a retired vet.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jenifer

If Your Dad had a traumatic brain injury(TMI)Back in the War?  

There will be or should be medical records to Document  this.

His service treatment records or DOD Medical Records in his 201 file at St Louis Mo,  and his C-FILE (claims file) if your Dad never had a Claim with the VA then the C-FILE Will be limited as for as medical records

There's is a possibility he could get it service connected  but it would be hard to connect it to Alzheimer's    so since they don't know why a person gets Alz, then it would need to be diagnosed as a TBI or  mental problem such a PTSD  or MMD.

So If you can prove with military medical records that your Dad was injured while serving in the military  then he can get a service connection for that injury and get a % of compensation and his wife will also be included I think the spouse of a veteran gets a 10% of what the veteran gets on his SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITIES.

Being that your Dad has Alz  then it will be left up to you to research his military service records  or hire an accredited VA Law Attorney with experience.

As for as  ''asst living'' that will be done in the private sector with SSA, unless your Dad can get an old injury SERVICE  CONNECTED.

You never know what you can find in his medical  service records, your mom Might be some help with this if she can remember back in your Dad's Military days?.

I wish you the best with this and it is worth checking into.

....................Buck  

Hi Buck,

my dad's Alzheimer's is definitely not from the war.  He had no injuries.  He was a file clerk.  8 out of 11 of his siblings died from Alzheimer's related illnesses.  He is in final stages of it and on hospice.  Thank you for your time and thoughts.