VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC Aid and Attendance and Mental Health issues

Jay

I can't seem to find anything (not even online) about how mental health and the need for Daily Living help effects the chances of getting SMC and at what rate.  I have PTSD and Schizoaffective (Bipolar Type) and documented memory loss from Electric shock treatment.  But no where do I find if I qualify for SMC and if I do where I would possibly rate (L+ K?).  Can anyone chime in on how Aid and Attendance and mental health works in mental health situations like mine.  I am not housebound but do require constant help in and outside the house and Aid and Attendance of another person.

I do have two doctors a psychologist and neurologist who say I need Aid and Attendance and may need nursing home care if I ever have no one to take care of me.  I have a paper from VA that says I am catastrophically disabled when it comes to ADL.

I do need help with medications, showers, cooking, transportation and areas regarding my memory loss.  I am competent and have no need for a fiduciary.  What can I expect regarding my application?

Thanks for any help you can provide in this matter.

SMC is inferred, whenever you meet the criteria.  Since they did not give it to you, you can apply, anyway. 

If you have a single 100% plus an additional combined 60%, you should already be getting SMC S (statuatory housebound).  

There is massive amounts of stuff here on SMC, I wont even try to repeat it all.  Just apply.  Do you have loss of use of body parts? 

No loss of body parts.  Just mental with a psychologist and neurologist both agreeing I need aid an attendance.  so I was just wondering what my chances might be in getting it.

Your chances are good If (and only if) you do all of the following:

1.  You have a doctor who has documented your need for A and A, OR, are willing to get an applicable IME/IMO.    Its not enough you need A and A, it must be documented.  

2.  You apply correctly, filling out the necessary forms and send them certified mail, return receipt requested.

3.  You attend C and P exams that are requested, and you keep VA with your current address to notify you. 

4.  You are proactive, persistent, and have good follow up, with a willingness to do what ever VA requests of you.  They may not even request it, you may have to be able to figure it out even when they dont request it.  

5.  You are willing to go through appealate review.

6.  You dont give up on first or second denial.  

7.  You have significant research and organization skills, or locate a representative who does.  

8.  You dont let a VSO talk you out of applying by instilling fear that you could lose your other benefits.  

Edited by broncovet

Broncovet thanks for your reply.  However your answer seems to apply to any condition one might be fighting to get with th the va.  I am trying to find out if mental health alone is enough for aid and attendance and if so at what level and would I from what I posted qualify and at possibly what level (L).   Again thanks for your input but I'm looking for more than a list.