VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Preparation for Notification and AB8

Rate this question

DevilDog12

Question

This may be a dumb question, and I know I shouldn't rely on EBenefits, but if my claim is in Prep for Notification, should the AB8 letter have changed if claim was granted?  Or does it update only after completion?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, DevilDog12 said:

This may be a dumb question, and I know I shouldn't rely on EBenefits, but if my claim is in Prep for Notification, should the AB8 letter have changed if claim was granted?  Or does it update only after completion?

Good question. You already know the status in ebenefits can lag behind reality.

When I was in waiting mode, I did this:

1. Got a hobby to get my mind off of it. Fishing, video games, movies, pets, TV (Netflix), etc...

2. Checked AB8 every few days and realized if the ebenefits status suddenly was rolled back, it would move forward eventually. However, in my case, it never changed until way after I got a letter in the mail. That was in the early days of ebenefits.

3. Checked mailbox daily. When I got junk mail or catalogs of no interest, I doodled on the pictures of the models. It's junk, so might as well try and have fun with it.

4. Checked bank account every few days. I had calculated that winning any increase would produce retro, which would be separate from the regular payment at the beginning of each month. In  one instance, retro showed up before getting anything in the mail or seeing it change on ebenefits. Of course, your combined rating would have to increase or an earlier effective date be granted to get retro in most cases.

5. Keep phone handy. I have had numerous claims into the VA. The last two times I won claims, someone at the VARO called me. They wanted to make sure the issues were addressed, the new ratings and combined rating, and even told me retro amounts and when they anticipated arrival in my account.

Of course, once you get the letter in the mail, go over it carefully and make sure everything is correct. Compare what they against your medical records and the rating criteria to make sure it is correct. If not, or if you get denied, don't give up.

Good luck!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Not just ebenefits, but in having to deal with the VA as a whole