VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Math doesn't add up

Rate this question

Tommyb44

Question

I just received my award packet today, and it showed that I received 70% for ptsd, and 10% for tinnitus.  However, the total award only indicates the 70%.  What gives?  Is this a clerical error?  Both state percentage assigned...not denied.  Thoughts? 

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

VA math.  ratings are not cumulative.  using anyone of many disability calculators I believe 70% + 10% equal 73%.

in your case anything below 75% is rounded down to 70%

• HadIt.com Elder

How It Works

The VA uses tables to compute the combined disability. The highest percentage to the lowest percentage is used. The highest minus 100% gives the "efficiency" for the highest degree of disability. Then the second is computed and so on to derive at a combined disability. The combined rating is then rounded up or down to the nearest 10%. 

Edited by Buck52

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
39 minutes ago, Tommyb44 said:

Wow that is screwy.   Thanks for the explanation though.  

Yeah, it is definitely screwy, but has been like that for decades. I'm 100% using their formula, but with straight math I am over 300%.

The way they calculate it plots an ever steepening curve. The closer you get to 100%, the harder it is to bump to the next 10% threshold.

The concept is centered around loss in earnings capacity. However, some ratings might include phrases like "productive of severe economic hardship", but have percentages less than 50%. The VA must not consider them that severe.

Like many of us here, we'll tell you that the rating system is indicative of an antiquated algorithm designed to low-ball veterans and significantly undercut realistic compensation amounts. But, it's all we have for now.

• HadIt.com Elder

http://www.hadit.com/disability-calculator/

I still don't understand how they rate after veterans reach the 100% scheduler  rating?

I think you would need additional  70% rating after the 100% to get to SMC, But the normal is 60%

a 160% or 170% rating is still consider to be a 100% scheduler rating

VA does this with a SMC Table calculator to combined the ratings  is from what I understand? and if veteran meets the SMC Criteria  then they inferr the SMC accordingly 

Now what is the SMC Criteria ?

jmo

...............Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Let's see - -

a 100% schedular rating and other lesser ratings.

You supposedly set the 100% aside, and calculate the remainder via the VA's scheme.

SMC gets complicated, but a simpler one is 100 + 60 SMC S  Homebound.

What happens when there are alternative ways to calculate?

The VA is required to use the method that most favors the veteran (By court decision).

In the past, they have not always done so.

Where things come unglued - - -

100% single condition

100% using VA math for some but not all remaining conditions, (usually rounded).

In theory, the remaining conditions are to be added, not run through VA math.