VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Applied for Federal Job -- Using Vets 30% Disability Preference

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Folks:

For the first time, I just applied for a federal job  using the 30% or higher disability vets preference. I've heard that it's supposed to be a big help? However,  I'm already very qualified for the job based upon my skill-sets but we'll see if it actually makes a  "real" difference or not for me?  Also, my experience has been that in a lot of cases, there's already somebody that has been unofficially positioned for the job anyway? To be fair, I conceed it's not that way in all cases for sure, but enough to give one concern when applying for a federal position. Frankly, unless you are a Vet already and have some kind of preference, most everyday citizens don't even get a chance to get their foot in the door within the government during the hiring process.   

Does anyone have experience with using this veterans job hiring preference that they would like to share their higher experience both positive and negative?

Through the years I've filled probably 60 positions.  There are some managers that see vets preference as a negative situation they must carefully navigate.  I've always had very good success hiring vets.  Several years back I hired a retired disabled vet who was a LTC in the military.  He wanted something to keep him busy so I hired him into a clerical position.  After a couple years he was ready for a challenge so I promoted him to a higher graded position with more responsibility, a few years later I did the same thing again.   He was one of the best employees I've had.  Although I'm also qualified to use vets preference in applying for fed jobs I've never used the preference as I was hired into a trainee position during college (after the military).

green:

Last night when I went to  complete the final application, I struggled with doing the 30% or better or just go along with the regular in grade process and the 10 points. Just before the application deadline, I changed the application back to go for the 30% or Better Disability Preference, and hope I did not make a mistake? The good news is that I have a lot of experience and should be in the  "best" qualified category but can't  begin to speculate if the hiring official would have a bias with regard to wounded vets? The good news is that there are multiple positions under the same job posting which could improve my chances also. But applying for a federal job is like submitting a disability application...mainly because the applicant waits, waits, and waits some more for some kind of eventual answer or outcome?   Thanks again for your comments..Rootbeer22

Edited by rootbeer22
typos

I think it was a good decision to claim the 10 points (disabled vet at 30% or greater).  Essentially it places you higher in the line of selection and you are correct most people can't even qualify for fed jobs as they don't accept applications from anyone.  There are a couple different Veterans Preference hiring authorities, you may want to research. Some authorities allow hiring a vet without competition, of course the Agency has to choose to advertise the position this way, but some will.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-authorities/veterans-authorities/

Edited by green

This is a topic near and dear to me. I've been hired through the program and have hired others with preference. From the inside, you tend to get a really long list. Most on the list for the most recent fill action I worked (as the hiring official) had veterans preference. Only two on the referral list did not. Of those on the list, most had some experience for the position I was hiring. Some were so far off, I couldn't tell how the SEU put them on the list. The only thing preference does is give you a position on the list. Once there, your resume has to carry you to the finish. Also, if you would like me to look at your resume I would be happy to help. Some put things on a resume that are their previous position descriptions. This is not evidence that a person did what I might need them to do! If interviews are conducted, you will most likely be offered a structured interview. Everyone gets the same questions and the same time in which to respond. Think *evidence* (much like the VA!) when answering. I could go on, but need to press with other work. Like I said, I would be happy to look at and provide feedback on your federal resume. In short: it needs to be exhaustive of the evidence (time, numbers, frequency, etc.) that you did the things the hiring official is seeking in the USAJobs announcement.

I was given some percentage preference just for being a vet. There were 3 openings and 2 vets were hired.

My time in the service was included as part of my time on the job so I had one month of paid leave my first year on the job + sick leave (could be used hourly as need for DR. visits) + holidays. About 2 months off per year.

No wonder there is a claims backlog.

I used to do the HIRING for a federal agency and we were mandated to hire FIRST:  Disabled vets who made 70 to 100 on their tests....then, we hired regular vets who made the same grade...then, we hired non-veterans.  If this is how it is through out the federal government, I am not sure, but, in my part of the world, VETERANS came first in the hiring line