VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Am I ready to file?

Rate this question

Charlieg

Question

So last july I filed a notice to file a claim or whatever its called, for IBS, skin rashes, and shoulder impingment.  I have been seeing VA doctor which says I have IBS and skin rashes.  Have had negative xrays but physical therapy for shoulder impingment in same shoulder as had it in military documents. Have gone to orthopedist and waiting on a letter connecting.  Just got a call from perfered choice program to schedule an upper gi.  I guess this was a result of gulf war exam.  Should I file now or wait for more stuff? It seems like it will be ongoing treatment so why not file now.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

File now.  Or, you can calculate how much it costs you by delaying.  Your benefits wont start until the First of the month AFTER you file, so if you got your app in right away, you could still get Aprils benefits if you get your app received by VA by March 31.  Otherwise its May or later.  

If you wind up 100% (and I have no idea if you will or not, its just an example), then each day you  delay means  "about" $100 in benefits lost.  It will be "rounded down" to months, with each month at 100% costing you about $3000 in benefits depending upon your number of dependents.    So, ask yourself how much can you afford to lose by delaying filing?  

On 3/23/2016 at 10:29 AM, broncovet said:

File now.  Or, you can calculate how much it costs you by delaying.  Your benefits wont start until the First of the month AFTER you file, so if you got your app in right away, you could still get Aprils benefits if you get your app received by VA by March 31.  Otherwise its May or later.  

If you wind up 100% (and I have no idea if you will or not, its just an example), then each day you  delay means  "about" $100 in benefits lost.  It will be "rounded down" to months, with each month at 100% costing you about $3000 in benefits depending upon your number of dependents.    So, ask yourself how much can you afford to lose by delaying filing?  

Thank you.  I will send vro an email.  I am assuming if I get anymore docs to help my claim I can send them in as I get them?

Yes.   You apply, and the VA can request, or you can send documents later.  Your effective date will be the later of "the date VA receives your application" OR the date the doc says you became disabled. 

I filed for IBS, Shoulder impengment, and skin rashes on lower legs.    So now I guess  I'm waiting to here on date or dates of c&p exams.  Any guidance on these exams?  Got a nexus letter  for the shoulder.  Being treated for rashes and IBS by VA.  Also, I will be moving from NY state to florida in july.  What do I do about that?