VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Claim while one is pending

Rate this question

DevilDog12

Question

I have a claim in Prep for Notification status.  If I submit a new claim while that claim is in PFN, will it be consolidated into existing claim, and delay the process of the older claim?

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

yes it will if you submit a new claim before you get a decision on the first claim. the VA will just ADD it to your previous claim

I think you should submit a claim even if you have one going  just make sure you submit favorable evidence when you do & it may tie up the claim a little longer  but it starts your EED.

but a lot of that decision is yours  because we  don't know your financial situation 

there's pros and cons about this

this is my opinion on it.

....................Buck

THanks Buck!  I still have some evidence to get before I upload it, so the first may be completed before I get that additional evidence anyway.  But you never know, it say in Pending Decision Approval for weeks before it went into PFN. 

I talked with my VSO last week about submitting a new claim while I have a pending claim and he said it wouldn't affect the pending claim.  That contradicts what it says on eBenefits so I am going to wait.  I did start the claim through eBenefits to preserve the effective date.  You have one year to complete the claim once you start.  If the existing claim doesn't close in a year there is a serious problem and I'll submit it anyway. 

With all due respect, there is no such thing as "slowing down" a VA claim, as they already move at the slowest rate possible.  If they went any slower, they would have to go in reverse and return all our applications back to us.  Case in point:

Claim submitted in 2002.  Not adjuticated until 2008 (six years for initial adjutication)  Timely appealed, and went to BVA in 2012, where it was remanded.  (That's 10 years total, so far!) Of course, it takes the RO another 3 years to implement a decision where "expiditious treatment" is required. I appealed the second denial, and it went to the board a second time in Feb. 2016.  NOw, its being appealed to the CAVC.  Fourteen years...no end in sight as the most likely result is...you guessed it...another remand.  

Please tell me how this claim could be slowed down????  

I dont check on the "status", I drive stakes in the ground to see if it moved at all that year.  

I should get a senior citizen discount.  I think I will apply for an "over age 75" special request status, now, because, by the time the act on it, I will be over 75.  (Im in my early 60's).  

Edited by broncovet