VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Crossfit702

Question

I'm new here, I apologize if I say or ask anything deemed offensive to anyone, and I'm here because I was told I could find answers and maybe a bit of much needed peace in the knowledge of those answers...

I got out in March of 2012, checked in to my nearest VA clinic here in Las Vegas, and was immediately diagnosed with PTSD. I didn't really know much about it nor care to know about it... Then last year I came to terms with it finally after seeing my first PTSD symptom list, ever.... Not an easy thing I must admit, looking at this list was like looking in a mirror, and what bothered me the most was that several of the symptoms on the list have been with me before my time in service... This was due to my PTSD being chronic, complex, or whatever the shrink lady said it was...

• she said this was due to childhood trauma as a refugee child, the confinement of almost two years in these refugee camps, and the effect of the violent environment my daily life was during those 2 years
  • depression, generalized anxiety, and agoraphobia have been diagnosed as well by the VA, and from what I hear they are part of the PTSD package.
  • Due to extended persuasion from family members I have retained an attorney (she took right away on contingency too), decided to get care, file claims for the other stuff with the attorney, and get over the shock of finding out that what I had thought was normal and pure personal preference is not considered normal behavior in humans...
  • I'm a college student, I do very well in school as I have always (PTSD doesn't affect me here almost at all), I'm very open to talk about anything regardless of how difficult the subject may be, and will welcome and greatly appreciate any advice or comments made about my situation. As I have already stated, I'm very new to this, it literally all hit me at once a few months ago, and any new knowledge will more then likely very valuable and much appreciated...
  • I do have as of this moment, few minor questions, and anyone that has the answer or thinks they do please contact me immediately

-Why do I have a mental exam this upcoming Monday for PTSD disability claim? The VA has already diagnosed me with PTSD. It was their very first medical diagnosis (next to in my medical record it says "confirmed").

-What will this exam be like, and why is it out in town?

-What is a C-File, and if anyone know where mine might be at. Please point me in the right direction, and I'll hop in my car to go get it???

-I filed some things on my own back January of 2014 and it was all denied, but was later approved for 40% due to some minor stuff. The tinnitus (ruptured my right eardrum twice in service, and now after the ping I get a bit light headed and dizzy) and the knees were both denied. The tinnitus isn't that big of a deal obviously because I can hear quite well, but the knees I care about a lot! My dad paid for a lot of my medical bill, I spent a great deal of my own money, and I still am. Therefore, how could they have xxxxxx this up so bad???

-Why do I have a mental exam this upcoming Monday for PTSD disability claim? The VA has already diagnosed me with PTSD. It was their very first medical diagnosis (next to in my medical record it says "confirmed").

They still have to do a C&P exam, think of it as a LEGAL Interview to assess / verify conditions.  All part of the bureaucracy.

-What will this exam be like, and why is it out in town?

They often use Contractors due to the length of time for an exam otherwise.  This could be a plus or a minus.  I went to a Contractor for mine and it went well.  It really is luck of the draw.  Just answer honestly and try and be honest with YOURSELF, maybe the hardest part.  Get a copy of the DBQ and go over it (I didn't, but I should have) so you know somewhat what the meeting will cover.  Don't prep, just so you aren't blindsided.  Mine did cover stressors, some don't from what I read, it will depend on the Doc.  Mine took about 3 hours, but I have read of them taking only 30 minutes for some, again, it will depend on the Doc.

-What is a C-File, and if anyone know where mine might be at. Please point me in the right direction, and I'll hop in my car to go get it???

Your C-File is your Claim File.  It represents all the documentation and considerations applied to your Case in order to make the final decision.  Search here and you will find the info for ordering a copy of your C-File or FOIA Request.  You submit...and wait.

-I filed some things on my own back January of 2014 and it was all denied, but was later approved for 40% due to some minor stuff. The tinnitus (ruptured my right eardrum twice in service, and now after the ping I get a bit light headed and dizzy) and the knees were both denied. The tinnitus isn't that big of a deal obviously because I can hear quite well, but the knees I care about a lot! My dad paid for a lot of my medical bill, I spent a great deal of my own money, and I still am. Therefore, how could they have xxxxxx this up so bad???

Without the C-File, it will be hard to tell.  I am awaiting mine for some MAJOR misses on their part as well.  Without the C-File, there is no way to know for sure if they even had all of the info in your File that needed to be there to make an accurate decision.

I am sure others will expand on this, but this may get you started at least.  Good Luck!

Good answers, Talon.  

The important thing you need to know is that you must attend the C and P exam or its pretty much an automatic denial if you dont.  The decision maker felt there was evidence needed that was not already in your cfile, and scheduled the exam.  

If you have few/no symptoms of PTSD you could be awarded PTSD at 0 percent.  This way, if your symptoms of PTSD get worse, then you could file for an increase.  However, PTSD with 0 symptoms will get a maximum of 0 percent rating, and no compensation.  

Crossfit702,  i want to add, be very careful with the childhood trauma issues. You are presumed sound upon acceptance into the armed services, but i can see the VA trying to blame everything on your childhood. I would be truthful when asked, just dont go into too much detail and STRESS that you had no ptsd symptoms until during or after service. Even if you already had some issues, i would think those issues would be aggravated by service, especially if you served in combat. JMO, and best of luck to you.

Hey thanks guys! I really appreciate it! As far as symptoms go they are definitely there. I look at a PTSD symptom checklist and no less then 90% apply to me. However, I have been attending every single appointment with my mental health care provider, and I have come to a bit of halt...

I kept hearing everyone talk about identifying stressers, and I can't identify any. My VA psychiatrist says this is why she feels that my PTSD is of a chronic nature, and it's kind of a different version of PTSD called "complex PTSD." She says among those with PTSD, it's a small crowd, and identifying stressors' is pretty much their biggest issue... According to her people like me have had such a high level of repeated trauma that a lot of it starts to be assimilated by their mind as acceptable and common behavior which makes it hard to identify what really started it all, and the types of trauma that worsen it.

I guess this why some of the symptoms of PTSD stood out as things I had come to assimilate as common or normal although unpleasant.... I guess...

35 minutes ago, flores97 said:

Crossfit702,  i want to add, be very careful with the childhood trauma issues. You are presumed sound upon acceptance into the armed services, but i can see the VA trying to blame everything on your childhood. I would be truthful when asked, just dont go into too much detail and STRESS that you had no ptsd symptoms until during or after service. Even if you already had some issues, i would think those issues would be aggravated by service, especially if you served in combat. JMO, and best of luck to you.

I do have symptoms of obvious PTSD, but for example thing like:

-feeling detached

-not having correct emotional responses to certain things

we talked about the time I witnessed someone being knifed to death in one of the refugee camps, and she seemed concern that the thing I was most concern about was that during the first stabbing I got blood on my shirt because of close distance where the correct response would have been for me to afraid for my life running as fast as I could away from the seen like any 6 year old would have. Instead I went into the nearest restroom area to try and wash-off the blood so my mom would yell at me...

I told her that these events were common in those places, the issue was not with me, and there was no reason to be scared...

-being on guard, jumpy, and looking for signs of danger

-always carrying a knife when possible 

and a few other things like that seemed to concern her and also the way I talk. She says that it's surprising to think that I talk the way I do because I have a very intense demeanor as if i was going to attack. I've always talked like I do and didn't think much of it.... 

Things of this nature were quite normal to me and I felt it was just the way life is no big deal....

Edited by Crossfit702

Crossfit702, I am so sorry you endured that as a child. That is absolutely horrific, I love children and was seriously considering trying to adopt before my health took a downturn. I think it is obvious how strong of a person you must be to be able to enter our military and have a productive life after those events, and i greatly admire that. Just be sure not to go into detail about those events if possible, for example when they ask about your childhood you should state, yes, i was in a refugee camp and saw some bad things, but it didnt affect me (that is, as long as that is truthful). As i said earlier, being in the military would definitely aggravate any preexisting issues even if they were already present. When did you begin to experience your ptsd symptoms, and were you ever in combat, if you were, you should NOT have to even provide ANY stressors.