VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

dishonorable discharges

Rate this question

iceturkee

Question

there is a big discussion going on some site that the government and the va aren't being fair to veterans who received dishonorable discharges but were hurt while they served.

for as long as i can remember, it is browbeaten into your head not to screw up because you won't get benefits. but here is my question, should they? should someone with a dishonorable discharge receive va benefits including disability compensation? please discuss. thank you.

About a year and a half ago the "Hagel Memo" became news, because Hagel felt there could be as many as 80,000 veteran denied VA benefits due to bad paper .

The Hagel Memo is searchable here and his point was that many veterans who had PTSD from inservice events could have been given bad paper, -the cause of which was potentially their PTSD.

Those vets with bad paper's files were to have been searched for anything that could have possibly been attributed to PTSD, and thus the cause of the OTH, BCD, UD, or DD. I forget who was to do the search but assume it was to be done by the BCMR.

Do you have any links to anything recent on this?

http://community.hadit.com/topic/63762-the-hagel-memo-and-oth-vietnam-vets/#comment-385781

WE did a radio show or two on this and there are 16 more links to Hagel Memo at hadit....

Some of those older discharges were as unfair as the Personality Disorder bull crap they used to pull on Vietnam vets who actually had

PTSD.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Examples:

Soldier > combat > PTSD > AWOL > OTH discharge

Soldier > combat > Personality Disorder > OTH discharge

I'm not very politically and do not care to be so especially on this subject. Personally I think this door shouldn't be opened. Why, because it is the duty of our military to face danger and to accept it. Give even the slight hope of getting out of that leaves the door open for people to "sustain" injuries or fake PTSD episodes to get out of the duty they VOLUNTEERED for and then get benefits on top of it...

There is appeal processes for OTH already, clear that up then go after the VA.

This of course is only my opinion.

15 hours ago, Berta said:

About a year and a half ago the "Hagel Memo" became news, because Hagel felt there could be as many as 80,000 veteran denied VA benefits due to bad paper .

The Hagel Memo is searchable here and his point was that many veterans who had PTSD from inservice events could have been given bad paper, -the cause of which was potentially their PTSD.

Those vets with bad paper's files were to have been searched for anything that could have possibly been attributed to PTSD, and thus the cause of the OTH, BCD, UD, or DD. I forget who was to do the search but assume it was to be done by the BCMR.

Do you have any links to anything recent on this?

no berta, i wish i did.

11 hours ago, DDuck said:

I'm not very politically and do not care to be so especially on this subject. Personally I think this door shouldn't be opened. Why, because it is the duty of our military to face danger and to accept it. Give even the slight hope of getting out of that leaves the door open for people to "sustain" injuries or fake PTSD episodes to get out of the duty they VOLUNTEERED for and then get benefits on top of it...

There is appeal processes for OTH already, clear that up then go after the VA.

This of course is only my opinion.

my feeling is that if a veteran believes their dishonorable is unjust they can appeal to the board of military correction. if its overturned, then thats great. that was browbeaten into my thick skull the whole entire time i was on active duty. i do believe that a lot of bad paper was unjust. but not all of it. if there is now a better option than the corrections board, then use it.