VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

dishonorable discharges

Rate this question

iceturkee

Question

there is a big discussion going on some site that the government and the va aren't being fair to veterans who received dishonorable discharges but were hurt while they served.

for as long as i can remember, it is browbeaten into your head not to screw up because you won't get benefits. but here is my question, should they? should someone with a dishonorable discharge receive va benefits including disability compensation? please discuss. thank you.

• HadIt.com Elder

In my opinion if a person served in the military and was deployed to a enemy territory during a conflict  and was injured yes he/she should get benefits.  because at the time he never had a dishonorable discharge.  or he/she would not been there.

Also if the veteran has a dishonorable discharge and can get it corrected   then yes he/she should get benefits.

iceturkee is correct  a lot of veterans were unjustly discharged.

jmo

..................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

I wanted to add Of course a veteran don't have to be deployed to be injured while in the military.

to me a lot of his dishonorable Discharge depends on why and what he /she did to get one.

26 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I wanted to add Of course a veteran don't have to be deployed to be injured while in the military.

to me a lot of his dishonorable Discharge depends on why and what he /she did to get one.

i had a guy work for me while i was in the navy who got booted out. not sure if he got a dishonorable. think he tried to kill himself (or maybe that was his wife).

i had another guy who worked for me who got booted out after i left (although he should have been gone while he worked for me). he stole government property, among other things. pretty sure he got a dishonorable. he was a pathological liar too which didn't help his defense when the skipper finally said enough was enough.

• HadIt.com Elder

EXACTELY ,Iceturkee

I had a good friend in the marines that joined up,because he wanted to be one of the few the proud...well he went to camp Penedlton   Calif  to boot camp and found he could not take orders very well and went AWOL, Multi times...and was sent to the stockade for bad behavior  getting into fights and cussing out the DS/s and taken beatings (actually taken a fall) and nothing they could do stop his running   he broke out of the stockade and went home 2 times &  the third time  that was it they gave him a Dishonorable.