VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU/ property tax exemption

Rate this question

Jimmer

Question

Hi everyone,  I wanted to share a conversation I had yesterday at the County Assessor office.  I live in Arizona, and I called the assessors office in Phoenix, Arizona  to acquire about the property tax exemption for veterans.  I ended up talking to the nastiest , meanest  woman that I have encountered in a long time.  When I asked her for information, and the process for applying for the property tax exemption, she was very reluctant to give me the information.  The she said "the exemption is not just for you vets, it is for anyone that is disabled".  Then she said  "All you vets are the same, you are always trying to GAME THE SYSTEM".   "You want something for nothing,  just like asking for a hand out".  She transferred me to another lady, who was very nice, and apologized  repeatedly.   I managed to get the individual's name ( first name yes,  last name kind of tricky, she said it so fast when she answered the phone).  My blood is boiling!  I have contacted several individuals , including my state senator regarding this "slam".  To be treated like that is a disgrace, and I will not tolerate on behalf of myself, and all my brothers and sister in the military!   Shit will hit the fan!

• HadIt.com Elder

I never knew if your on SSDI YOU CAN

get the property tax exemption ?

We all know to get benefits from the SSA we are 100%disabled by their standards.

If this is true I need to get the word out to my neighbors.

Buck I never knew that either.  They sure don't broadcast the information here in OK.  But the VA does send a nice letter advising you to check with your local state and city governments for all of the bennies.  All states don't have the same benefits, you have check in with the State office.

• HadIt.com Elder

Its unfortunately that some people feel this way about veterans  but there's more people who do not feel this way they those that do.

my tax office was actually happy to give the property tax exemption and Thanked me for my service.

It has to be the personality Character & moral of the person you talk with.

jmo

Jimmer, I'm also in AZ, unfortunately I've heard your specific experience voiced by other vets here.

5 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Its unfortunately that some people feel this way about veterans  but there's more people who do not feel this way they those that do.

my tax office was actually happy to give the property tax exemption and Thanked me for my service.

It has to be the personality Character & moral of the person you talk with.

jmo

Agreed.  I have met some of those folks since I met the requirements for IU.  More positives than negative experiences when not dealing with the VA comp side of the house.