VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

getting run-around by dental clinic

Rate this question

GARYLINN

Question

Hello everyone:  first, I am 100 PERCENT Total and PERM.  The dentist will NOT give me three implants in which I am in need of.  I was told that I don't take care of the teeth I have so "WHY WOULD WE GIVE YOU IMPLANTS"?

They are right...I am disabled with MDD and PANIC DISORDER.  The actual problems I have are the problem I have taking care of my teeth and even my body.   I feel I am being discriminated against for my disabilities.  IS THIS POSSIBLE at the VA?  I need counsel for sure!

VHA has gotten tons of bad press lately. If you have evidence of the rejection or negativity by the clinic then maybe a call to the media is in order.

It's an election year.... Somebody out there probably needs votes.

They cannot deny you care in the situation as you describe it.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would report it to the Hospital Director.

1 hour ago, GARYLINN said:

Hello everyone:  first, I am 100 PERCENT Total and PERM.  The dentist will NOT give me three implants in which I am in need of.  I was told that I don't take care of the teeth I have so "WHY WOULD WE GIVE YOU IMPLANTS"?

They are right...I am disabled with MDD and PANIC DISORDER.  The actual problems I have are the problem I have taking care of my teeth and even my body.   I feel I am being discriminated against for my disabilities.  IS THIS POSSIBLE at the VA?  I need counsel for sure!

First things first, if it is at all possible try your best to begin to take care of yourself.  Look at it this way the doctor is saying that if you don't take care of yourself why should s/he. Don't get me wrong I am not agreeing with this dentist but if you really want help you have to do your part also.  I was in somewhat of a similar situation years ago but I was not 100% at the time and my dentist told me that due to the fact that I was no longer in VOC Rehab he could not treat me but I told him that I really needed the care and he finally agreed to continue my treatment but he wanted to make sure that I was going to keep up with all the appointments and home care that was needed.  Sometimes they try to push you off. If he continues, you can request a different dentist.

It the same as any transplant , whether its teeth or a liver. If you don't show evidence of self care, or someone doing it for you, then you won't be approved for a transplant or implant. Thats not just VA, thats any medicine. 

• Founder

brokensoldier is right my dentist has been really ticked off at me before and he makes a good point why do the work if i can't do my part. i get it, i wish he wasn't so harsh, but i can't argue with the validity of his point.

The problem that what you guys are implying is that the Benefits that were earned are "optional", I don't give 2 sh$ts what some miserable, sub-par VA Dentist has to say; THEY ARE YOUR BENEFITS AND YOU ALREADY EARNED THEM!  It is his JOB to give you care. File a complaint with the clinic, send one to Regional and your Congressman.  Unprofessional behavior by VA employees needs to be reported every time, that's the only way to change their culture.