VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD rating question

Rate this question

Silent Uproar

Question

Hello All

I have a question, please excuse my ignorance as I am not fully versed on the 100% rating for PTSD. I understand what P&T and TDIU is and all that. My question is I am  currently 50% for PTSD. I am rated at 80% for all disabilities. 

I have had for the  past several years an increase in suicidal and homicidal ideation I was baker acted but then released once I got to the local hospital not the VA hospital. 

All of my Dr's and my C&P examiner suggest that I enter inpatient treatment. I am currently employed. If I get an increase to 100% for PTSD what Will I have to do as far as my job is concerned as I work for the federal government? I know I can't work but just didn't know if there was a timeframe of how long I had to quit by. Is it even  possible to get rated at 100% PTSD while actively employed ?

If I can't work I will make less than what the 100% pays at and won't be able to support my family pay my mortgage  etc.  I have extreme difficulties making it through my day at work and at home but I still have a family to support along with a special needs child and my wife is a full time student and is not working to take care of my son. I do not have a college degree.

I know I can file for SSDI and Federal retirement etc but that will take who knows how long. 

If possible can someone provide some insight please. Your help would be appreciated, Thank you

Edited by Silent Uproar

Silent Uproar, I am not an expert but I will help you as much as I can. All right, if your MH doctors are encouraging you to enter inpatient treatment, explain to then that while you do need the treatment, you and your family will be put into a hardship situation. I believe if you are already receiving compensation for PTSD and enter into inpatient you would qualify for temp 100% rating, depending on the length of the program, not certain if you need to be inpatient for 30 days or 60, I am certain some elders will know and I will try to look that up. I recommend that you ask your MH doctor if he could put in writing that you need inpatient care, or at least put it in his notes so you can print it off of my healthevet. You would need that both for your job and to request the temp 100%. I would also submit a request for increase on your PTSD, but I'm not certain if you could file both the request for temp 100% and increase at the same time. I will try to look up the length of time required (for inpatient treatment) to qualify for the temp 100%. Good Luck, and i will repost shortly.

Silent Uproar, if you are hospitalized for at least 21 days for a SC disability (such as inpatient treatment for SC PTSD), you qualify for the temp 100% rating, which should also help get your ptsd increased. If your ptsd had not gotten worse, you would not need inpatient treatment. Best of Luck to you!

Silent Uproar, Firstly are you MH at the VA? If so ask for a program called Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT). It's a 12 week group therapy held at a Vet Center, this is an alternative than going inpatient at a treatment facility. Now this got me the initial 50% SC for PTSD. Now if you're going for the 100% PTSD you will have to show that your hygiene is down in the toilet (Shaving, Bathing, etc...), also social impairment of school, work and family. The main problem for not getting to that level is that you are working, so that's probably why the suggestion to go inpatient. 

There is also always Bankruptcy.  Or, your wife can work.  Not trying to come across as a d!ck, but it's the truth. That is what we had to do.  You aren't going to do your family any good if you lose control and hurt yourself or someone else.  You won't get a paycheck either way.  They don't pay VA benefits to people in jail either.  GET TREATMENT, everything else will work itself out, one way or another.  Good luck, brother.

18 hours ago, ItChief67 said:

Silent Uproar, Firstly are you MH at the VA? If so ask for a program called Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT). It's a 12 week group therapy held at a Vet Center, this is an alternative than going inpatient at a treatment facility. Now this got me the initial 50% SC for PTSD. Now if you're going for the 100% PTSD you will have to show that your hygiene is down in the toilet (Shaving, Bathing, etc...), also social impairment of school, work and family. The main problem for not getting to that level is that you are working, so that's probably why the suggestion to go inpatient. 

16 hours ago, TALON II FE said:

There is also always Bankruptcy.  Or, your wife can work.  Not trying to come across as a d!ck, but it's the truth. That is what we had to do.  You aren't going to do your family any good if you lose control and hurt yourself or someone else.  You won't get a paycheck either way.  They don't pay VA benefits to people in jail either.  GET TREATMENT, everything else will work itself out, one way or another.  Good luck, brother.

I appreciate your guys replies. Maybe I worded my post wrong but I was wondering what the process would be if awarded the hundred percent .I'm not out there just to get the 100% PTSD,  if they give it to me that's great but that's not my final goal my final goes to un-xxxx myself and get better and stay out of trouble. 

I am curious how the process works when working, is there a timeline of when I would have to quit by. I am just unfamiliar with the whole process as the veterans that I know all were not working or were fired before they were awarded anything.

My C&P was already done and examiner suggested  an inpatient program.  I appreciate the CPT suggestions  itChief, I have been  through CBT and that really didn't help me so I will definitely look into the CPT as that sounds promising. 

I have been doing various therapies and MH clinics with the VA since 08.