VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Only one hour scheduled for PTSD C&P???

Rate this question

Mike_S

Question

Why so little time?

Is this exam just to blow me off and say they found nothing?

Department of Veterans Affairs

Best Practice Manual for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Compensation and Pension Examinations 

1. III.Recommended Time Allotment for Completing Examination

• Initial PTSD compensation and pension evaluations typically require about three hours, but complex cases may demand additional time.

• Follow-up evaluations usually require an hour to an hour and a half. 

----- "Is this exam just to blow me off and say they found nothing? "

Maybe.

Maybe they heard enough to accept your claim.

Maybe they heard enough to deny.

If they (the VARO) denies your claim, you might be able to use this time issue as an argument.  But, you'll need proof that the examiner did not spend three hours on your claim.  However, I think that that is a long-shot.

If you are having a C&P exam, there must have already been a diagnosis of PTSD.  So, the C&P, at this point, is trying to establish whether it is service connected or not.  So, they would not be trying to say that 'they found nothing.'

They might be trying to deduce the level of disability for ratiings purposes.

I don't think that they were trying to "blow you off".  Too many of those and they could lose their job. (NOT!)

Once your C&P is done you need to wait for the Statement of the Case (SOC) to find out what the doctor did.

Good luck Mike_S, and godspeed.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Looks like there is a significant disconnect between the people who perform PTSD exams and the people who write the best practices manual.

I'm going to bring copies of sworn statements from friends that describe how I am. I submitted these with my claim and I want to make sure the Dr. has them and KNOWS that I submitted them.

Who knows? Hope for the best and expect the worst, remove round from chamber.

3 hours ago, Mike_S said:

I'm going to bring copies of sworn statements from friends that describe how I am. I submitted these with my claim and I want to make sure the Dr. has them and KNOWS that I submitted them.

Who knows? Hope for the best and expect the worst, remove round from chamber.

What up Mike

Thats a good idea. I just had 2 C&P exams and I brought a copy of everything I submitted especially documents from outside Dr's and the also Documents from the Dr that that the VA sent me to as the wait time was too long so the sent me to Memorial regional to see one of their contracted Dr's. During the exams the C&P examiners spent a lot of time going over the documents as if they never seen them before, at one point during the exam the examiner said " it's a good thing you brought this document because it helped you". So I would encourage you to bring any documents that you submitted. 

Good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Smear your eyes with onions so you can start crying immediately.  What you have to do is when examiner asks first question just burst into tears and cry for one hour.  You will get your 100%.  What war were you in?   If Vietnam just moan "  Damn Gooks" between sobs.  If Iraq or Afghanistan  just moan " Damn Ragheads" between crying fits, tears and snot dripping from nose, eyes, mouth and ears if possible.  If you crap yourself or wet your pants all the better.  You only have one hour.   If you attack the doctor you end up in jail.   If you collapse into sobbing pile of goo then you have a better shot than trying to explain your symptoms in one hour.  Otherwise study VA list of required symptoms for DX of 100% PTSD and try to portray all 30 or 40 all at once.  I do not think it is possible to evaluate a patient's degree of PTSD or even if he/she has PTSD in one hour unless you are like WWI shell shock vets who could not stop shaking 24/7 or who hid under their beds every time they heard a sound above a whisper.  My post seems insane but no more insane than VA C&P exam.

John